Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked into a local Pawn Shop and found a nice blued Colt Police Positive Special in .38 Special. I took it home for $275 OTD. Comes back as a 1941 production. Great shape with clean mirror barrel and chambers but a bit of wear. An old hard rubber Pachmayr 1M grip adapter I have owned for more than 30 years fit perfectly. A wonderful early Christmas present to myself.

As a retired cop that over 40 years ago routinely carried a revolver, this little jewel would easily keep me happy as a service revolver if back on duty. Planning to qualify with it for my LEOSA carry qualification card but confess her age will limit me to occasionally running some standard velocity 158 grain lead round nose for fun. No plans to make her a concealed carry revolver. Of course my 1961 Colt Detective Special still gets a lot of pocket time. :)

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
You certainly did well on the price for your new Colt Police Positive Special! The Pawn Shops in my area wold have wanted at least $500 for it!

I have one (1) PPS revolver that is nice. It is a 1920 in .32-20 caliber and a great shooter. The PPS revolvers were used by the Local Police Department in my town for years. Here is my one and only Colt PPS revolvers.

IMG_1180.JPG

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You certainly did well on the price for your new Colt Police Positive Special! The Pawn Shops in my area wold have wanted at least $500 for it! ... snip ... View attachment 438442
Yes I did well but must confess they had it on sale from its $499 list price. $249 plus tax. I was blessed to have some "gun money" available and did not even ask for an old [email protected] discount. :)I need to edit in it is a Police Positive - 38 Special, not a Police Positive Special. Correction ... it being a .38 Special it is a Police Positive Special. Getting old is a pain.

Attachments

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
My $315 PPS .38 Spl, my one & only, looking for a project gun, top poor photo, 315 start price or BIN. I bought --

It came coated with dried up oil or wax but cleaned up close to 100% but for a scar on right side of the barrel, sharp grips. After clean-up LGS says "you got yourself a $500 gun". Action was grungy till I oiled it & now like new -- too good to hack up for my intended project. Late PPS production, lacks the fine fit & finish of the old pre-wars. Even so, I like it as one of my nearest-to-new Colts ----->

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
You have a fine police positive special with its square butt as it controls recoil a bit better than the round butt. While your front sight is still the 1/2 moon, if it glares, blacken it and it will be as good as the post war ramp sight. I have to use the grip adapters as my hand is small and they make the gun fit my hand so much better. Your not doing any undue wear on that colt running standard pressure 158 ammo but I will admit I shoot a bunch of 148 wadcutter with 3 grains of bullseye for target and practice. Colt at one time said it was rated for 38-44 ammo but I don’t believe any of us are doing that. A lot of us do carry our steel d frames loaded with plus P, myself included.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Detective Special in my pocket as I type is loaded with 158 grain +P LSWCHP. I practice with a +P model 10 or Chiefs Special. I too believe it is the best ammo for carry but will practice with an understudy. Then again the new Cobra is calling my name.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a heads up. Took the Police Positive to the range today for the revolver portion of my Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act qualification. I fired the standard 40 round course of fire and made 40 hits. Perfect score but I did have some issues with the revolver. Three times over the course of fire the hammer fell between chambers. Another double action pull and the revolver fired. Twice it did not skip a chamber but the last miss pushed a round past the barrel. I just cycled through the cylinder to hit or maybe re -hit the recalcitrant round. I also noticed occasional bullet shaving on the left side of the barrel and at least three rounds keyholed into the target. Planning to give her a good cleaning and putting her to pasture.

If necessary I would trust her to get me through a fight but I would not use her unless there was no other choice. Thankfully their are a lot of options in my handgun safe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I probably will. The point is at 76 years old, even if fixed up, she will be better taken care of as an occasional range queen rather than beat her up as a regular carry piece. Her cousin, my 58 year old Detective Special is in my pocket as I type. The 1961 DS is going to range duty when my new to me 3rd model DS gets here Wednesday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the cylinder skips past the bolt, that could be late bolt drop.
My plan is to open up the side plate for an inspection and cleaning. After that another qualification practice. We will see how she does after that. If necessary a trip to Cylinder and Slide is in order.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
That thing is my kind of revolver.
And just because it is old doesn't make it fragile or vulnerable to breakage.
It can be tuned up easily, and will run just like it was always intended to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts