Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
swap meet score, maybe not a score but a purchase. old enfield mk4 model 1. unfortunately someone drilled and tapped it for a scope mount. numbers all match, I don't see a import mark, has a brass buttplate. Never had one of 20210606_124539.jpg 20210606_122224.jpg these, now I have to find out what year it's made etc. picked up a broken single shot shotgun too. just need to make a forend and firing pin assembly. jim

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got to really looking at it and there is a import mark IAC Alex va. I guess a interarms import but the stamp is soooo small I had to use my camera to blow it up to read it.
hope these pics post. And if anyone can tell me anything about the rifles history, make, year etc id appreciate it. jim 20210606_160246.jpg 20210606_160246.jpg 20210606_160305.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those No 4s are about the best of the old Lee Enfields. I just gave a mint Long Branch (Canadian manufacture) to one of my nephews. He's really into WWII rifles at the moment and has the eyes to do it justice on the range.

Over the years, I've owned about all the Lee Enfield clan including two versions of the .22LR trainers. I still have a mint No 4T sniper rifle (H&H modification) with the Mk 32 scope as well as a No 7 .22LR trainer based on the No 4 action. Both the No 4T and the No 7 have the fitted wood boxes that they were issued with.

Have fun with that No 4. I've enjoyed them for over 50 years.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
You'll need photos of the receiver's markings before it can be identified.

It should be numbered on the back of the bolt, the receiver and the barrel - often times on the wood.

'Scoping it didn't do it any favors.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bolt, mag and side reciever all had P4814
the rec is electro pencil mode mk1 f ftr 49
no other stamps jim

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pic of the wood shows the number and stamps too. I agree about the scope. I was just browsing the swap meet and saw the rifle on a guys table. I realized the scope kills the collectability, but I thought the price was reasonable enough $325, that I bought it. bore looks great too. jim

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
It went through the 'Factory Thorough Repair' program in 1949 - likely at the Pakistan Ordnance Factory.

If yours has the flip sight, it wasn't an upgrade from the Mk1 to Mk2A1 or A2 - that would've added a very neat and sturdy adjustable rear sight.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the rear sight flips up and has the thumbs crew to raise the rear sight up and down. jim

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
without being able to read any of the info on the wrist band, it's going to be hard to tell which manufacturer correct? jim

·
Registered
102 Posts
That looks like a no D&T mount for the scope. I think that it was S&K that made these. They also made No D&T mounts for many other military rifles.

Here's an interesting upgrade to the rear sight. It's an A.J. Parker screw on sight that gives about 5 MOA deflection for either refining your zero or for match shooting at long range. It also has the variable diopter eye piece for various light conditions. I ordered this from the company in England in the early 80s. Sadly the company is no more.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
If that's an S&K 'No Drill' mount, the value just rose.

So long as no one actually drilled holes, you can install the issue rear sight quite easily.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I was just going to post that it looks like a no drill and tap mount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts