Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share this..new to me..Walther PP. It’s only my second as I have a war-time PP in .22 LR.

I know little about either of them. This one has some markings that seem unusual and I’m sure I’ve never seen them. They include a “RP” which I’ve been told indicates a police issue in Rhineland? Also has several “droopy” eagles. You guys check it out and let me know what you know and what I need to know about this one!
Luggage and bags Netbook Bag Everyday carry Gadget
Material property Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Wood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Cable

The rubber band indicates that I’ve found a set of correct grips but need the screw!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
According to my references, you have a Manurhin made Walther PP that was made sometime after 1965 indicated by the serial number stamped on the right side of the slide. Manurhin made parts for themselves to sell under the Manurhin label and also for Walther to sell under the Walther label. They did this until the mid 1980's. The 'droopy eagle' stampings are proof and acceptance stamps. The R-P in the circle marking is a police issue gun for the Rhineland-Pfalz area.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Hm. Seems I just looked at another one of these in another forum.

Your 1969 production year is correct based on the serial. The pistol does not show the Ulm proofs on the chamber through the ejection port because instead of being commercially proofed, it has the drooping-wing eagles with inspector number of the Güteprüfdienst des Bundesverteidigungsministeriums (I love writing that ;)), meaning it was originally destined for a federal location, but then ended up in Rheinland-Pfalz police service.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the good info! I believe I have narrowed down what I have here. I'm not sure I would have bought it had I known it was a "French PP" but with some research I'm thinking that the Manurhin made pistols were super high quality at least for a time. This one feels good in hand but unfortunately I've just read enough Walther forums to realize that it's loaded chamber indicator spring is....sprung! It just goes in and out of the slide as if its not captured by anything.....

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Thanks for all the good info! I believe I have narrowed down what I have here. I'm not sure I would have bought it had I known it was a "French PP" but with some research I'm thinking that the Manurhin made pistols were super high quality at least for a time.
All Walther marked pistols were made by Manurhin during the post war era until the mid Eighties. The parts were sent in the white to Walther and they finished and assembled them and sold them under the Walther label. This is why Manurhin made pistols sell for less money than the Walthers, as everyone thinks they are lesser quality 'French' pistols. They are every bit as good as Walthers.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All Walther marked pistols were made by Manurhin during the post war era until the mid Eighties. The parts were sent in the white to Walther and they finished and assembled them and sold them under the Walther label. This is why Manurhin made pistols sell for less money than the Walthers, as everyone thinks they are lesser quality 'French' pistols. They are every bit as good as Walthers.
Well said. I knew a little about this but very little about the years it was done. There's always conflicting info on 'German' firearms in my experience!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts