Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bitten by the Colt SAA bug...... I'm not an avid shooter but would like to acquire a SAA Colt for general target shooting. Looking at the 7.5" 45LC and wondered what you would suggest..... the "New Frontier" or the original SAA? I would appreciate your comments at to what "generation" is most likely to hold it's value, and be a shooter, and any additional shopping hints.

Thank You in advance.

Lynn

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The older, especially first generation guns, can go through the roof, price-wise. It all depends on condition, the right provenance and what came with the gun. The newer guns aren't cheap either. The New Frontier is a shooters pleasure since it comes with adjustable sights. Hang tight and you'll hear even better advice from the rest of the group. Glad you're here!

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
If you are going to own one Colt SAA it should be chambered in .45 Colt and Blued with a Color Case Hardened frame. Frame style and barrel length are up to you. I like the 5 1/2" barrel the best but it seems that everyone else likes either the 7 1/2" or 4 3/4" better. Ivory stocks are a nice touch but can add a bit to the price tag. Stag and checkered Walnut or Rosewood look great and are a good deal cheaper than Ivory. Engraving can really add to the value and price. As noted by Colt-SL, 1st Generation SAAs can get expensive. So can certain variations of the 2nd Generation SAA. Colt is making some great SAAs right now. The fit and finish on the current Colt SAAs are great. Plus you can shoot them and not hurt the collector value too much as long as you take care of it. Good luck on finding just the right Colt SAA for you. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information........ do you think the New Frontier will hold it's value? Also, what do you think of the Wiley Clapp SAA?

Lynn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts