Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Great wealth of info here and I hope to contribute some day but for now all I can do is read and learn.

Over the weekend a Colt Commando fell into my possession.
The gun is not for sale nor will it be but I do have some basic questions about it. But first, a little about my philosophy . . . . so you may understand where I'm coming from.
An old collector car should be driven. Not garaged 110% of its life. I understand the rare and invaluable car needs better care than what I would provide. So, with that basic concept in mind I want to do what is right for the Commando. Google and the Colt Forum has adequately informed me that she is a mid war firearm. She is in what I could call extremely nice condition. Feels like a new gun in my hands however I have no experience with these Commandos or Colts in general. I have played with warn revolvers and this Commando is NOT one of those.

All that said, I want to go shoot her! Standard plinking 38 special FMJ ammo. No +p or such. Would that give any heartburn to the experienced and knowledgable Colt owners for any reasons? If so, why?

I see Gun broker has two available for roughly 800 bucks. Is this an exceptionally high price for this type of gun or is it mid range? Low end?

Final goal for the gun: Pass it on in extremely good working condition to one of my children. This Colt was their great grandpas firearm. It was passed to grandpa and then to me. I suspect it may have not been shot in 40 years.

Again, is there any real reason NOT to use the firearm. Plinking only and not as the everyday plinker. Just occassionally shoot a few rounds. I have other firearms for play and personal defense.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Scott

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Unless it is pristine unfired in the box. It won't hurt to shoot it a little bit just exercise due caution and care as you would a classic car. Learn something about it before you do though to insure nothing is amiss. Just as you would read the owners manual on your car. Just MHO, mileage may vary according to user, LOL.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Mild loads won't damage it, but remember the more you shoot it the faster it'll wear out, and replacement parts are drying up.
Added to which people who can competently work on them are drying up too.
Denis

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Some posters will overreact when someone mentions shooting these older guns, some people on a 1911 forum get all upset when someone posts about shooting vintage 1911s and A1s in general, but I don't see that reaction as much here with Colt revolvers or even the vintage semi-autos.

Now Mike is correct a firearm that is in pristine condition, new in the box, ect. it just might be prudent not to shoot it, or shoot in once and put it away. I doubt if todays ammo would subject this Commando to more stress than the ammo available when it was made.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

As I read further, I believe I will take it to a couple of gunsmiths and ask the basic questions of condition. If she is indeed pristine maybe I should go ahead and let her protect my sock drawer. However if she shows any signs of use then I'll keep her clean and fire her once in a while. Make sure she is cared for and always in good working condition. I'm curious though, should I not smell some gun powder residue on her even if she has sat for multiple decades? I've very carefully sniffed the barrel and each chamber and I can not smell the tell tail signs of gunpowder. I can however smell the scents of my mother in laws house. Thinks like baby powder smells. Maybe the perfumey scents are due to being handled recently. Who knows. Either way that is NOT what I expected to smell when I was looking for signs of use! LOL!

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
914 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's a nice Colt place to be. Good to have you on board, lookin' forward to fireside chats and posts.:)

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Thanks for the input.

As I read further, I believe I will take it to a couple of gunsmiths and ask the basic questions of condition. If she is indeed pristine maybe I should go ahead and let her protect my sock drawer. However if she shows any signs of use then I'll keep her clean and fire her once in a while. Make sure she is cared for and always in good working condition. I'm curious though, should I not smell some gun powder residue on her even if she has sat for multiple decades? I've very carefully sniffed the barrel and each chamber and I can not smell the tell tail signs of gunpowder. I can however smell the scents of my mother in laws house. Thinks like baby powder smells. Maybe the perfumey scents are due to being handled recently. Who knows. Either way that is NOT what I expected to smell when I was looking for signs of use! LOL!

Thanks again,
Scott
Welcome aboard Scott. Post a picture or two and the group here can advise on condition. Again, if it were a new-in-the-box gun, with all paperwork, it may not be wise to shoot it. But if it is not like a factory fresh firearm, maybe has some handling marks or scratches, etc., but in good working order, shoot it with the standard loads you mention, keep it cleaned and protected and enjoy it for many years.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Obviously several schools of thought here. Assuming it is in pristine condition (which I don't know) AND your priority is to preserve its monetary value, don't shoot it. If your intent is to consider it as an heirloom and keep it in the family, there is absolutely no reason not to shoot it some. You do not seem to be a heavy shooter, and likely would not fire it nearly enough to wear out any parts, or do any damage to it. Just handle it gently and carefully, don't carry it around in a holster, and clean and lubricate it after you shoot it. It was made to be shot, and you may as well enjoy it a bit while you have it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Thanks again,
Scott

It's better that you don't smell gun powder. It would mean it was put up dirty. If it's been long since it was fired you would not pick up any smell, other than whatever might have been used on it as protection from the elements. Any gun that's been used is a tool, meant to be fired. It was designed to last and if it was not shot out, will continue to give good service without wearing out, shooting it on occasion. Treat it like that classic car you talked about.
Jay Leno is an avid collector of classic cars and he drives every one of them because it is the joy of using that makes ownership worth while. NIB is another matter, but I doubt your grandfather kept it all those years without shooting it.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
931 Posts
So where are your introductory pictures and how do you your Grampa's Colt is a female?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So where are your introductory pictures and how do you your Grampa's Colt is a female?
I'll try and get photos up soon.
She must be female. When I wrap my hands on her she feels great. I love to stare at her and dream of what I'm going to do with her. I intend to baby and take care of her for a very long time. I hope to take her photo without anything on her . . . . .

There are no male anythings that make me feel that way! LOL!

Scott

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would also like the answere to 69shark's question. What would be the value of a colt commander.38s&w in roughly 95% condition????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts