Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Tom and I am new to this forum. I have 4 Colt Revolvers and 2 semi autos. I joined because one of my friends has an older .38 Official Police. He was wondering when it was made and what it's value.
Colt Official Police 6 inch barrel. The marking on the barrel has
Colt Official .38
Police
With the Official police centered between the Colt and the .38.
Serial number is 670XXX with a
V below it.
Bluing is pretty good but there is some muzzle wear and a bit on the left side of the barrel is thin. On the but it is stamped MSG. Not the backstrap. Walnut checkered grips with Colt medallion in very good shape.
It was sold to him many years ago as being from the Maine State Police. I do not have any pictures at this time but will try to get some.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Tom

My Colts not including my SP1.
Brown Rectangle Wood Grey Font Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from (northern) South Texas!
The serial number links sublimert70 are a good place to start.
If your friend wants some additional information, he can order an archive letter that will give shipping location and date, original configuration as it left the factory and, if requested, date of manufacture.

Colt Archive Properties, LLC - Home (coltarchives.com)

·
Premium Member
4,086 Posts
My name is Tom and I am new to this forum. I have 4 Colt Revolvers and 2 semi autos. I joined because one of my friends has an older .38 Official Police. He was wondering when it was made and what it's value.
Colt Official Police 6 inch barrel. The marking on the barrel has
Colt Official .38
Police
With the Official police centered between the Colt and the .38.
Serial number is 670XXX with a
V below it.
Bluing is pretty good but there is some muzzle wear and a bit on the left side of the barrel is thin. On the but it is stamped MSG. Not the backstrap. Walnut checkered grips with Colt medallion in very good shape.
It was sold to him many years ago as being from the Maine State Police. I do not have any pictures at this time but will try to get some.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Tom

My Colts not including my SP1.
View attachment 751109 View attachment 751110 View attachment 751112
Welcome to the ColtForum from Texas. All Colt models are discussed here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...and that's a fine looking group of Colt firearms you've got there.

Thanks for the welcome and comment on my Colts. I am more of a S&W revolver guy but I don't badmouth Colts.
I got my first as a 21st birthday present to myself. That would be the Satin Nickel Commander. That would be almost 47 years now.

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the Forum from (northern) South Texas!
The serial number links sublimert70 are a good place to start.
If your friend wants some additional information, he can order an archive letter that will give shipping location and date, original configuration as it left the factory and, if requested, date of manufacture.

Colt Archive Properties, LLC - Home (coltarchives.com)
Thanks for the info. I had found the date of manufacture but was not sure about it. After looking at the Colt Properties it had the same year as what I got.
I do not think that the owner is really interested in a letter on the pistol. He is 81. He is more interested in what he could sell it for.
Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts