Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had some beautiful woolly mammoth grips put on some SAA's - these are NOT on the endangered list so no legal action against them(guess cause they died a loooong time ago). Fitted they were $600 a pair - PM me if you want the name of the guy. Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Just had some beautiful woolly mammoth grips put on some SAA's - these are NOT on the endangered list so no legal action against them(guess cause they died a loooong time ago). Fitted they were $600 a pair - PM me if you want the name of the guy. Ed
They're illegal in California, though. I guess the smart folks here think that even though they are dead, the hunting of their ivory will lead to them dying more?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts

Ed:How come the grips are FLAT on the bottom?When I used to make them for u you'd have fit if I didn't bevel them.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Ed:How come the grips are FLAT on the bottom?When I used to make them for u you'd have fit if I didn't bevel them.

All joking aside about the bottoms this guy did a really great job on the grips they're beautiful,if I was still making grips I'd be jealous,my compliments to him.It's nice to see that there are still some craftsmen around doing a good job.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
There used to be a lot of Wooley Mammoths here in California- because of the Wooley Mammoth Ivory trade they are now all gone.

But there is hope!

Due to modern science-!!

They might be able to clone them- re-stock um' and let about 100 of them lose in Hollywood, or Compton. :)

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I have a number of guns w/wooley mammoth grips on them,I have one set that looks exactly like petrified wood & it's also the last pair of grips I ever made,if I can find a picture of them in the near future I'll have someone post it for me due to me being "technically challenged" on this "evil machine",they're on a 4 3/4 .44 spcl.

·
Premium Member
4,465 Posts
Not because mammoths smoked...

Here's a rare vintage photo of the pre-historic Colt Collector's Association and the real reason that mammoths are extinct.

p.s. absolutely gorgeous stocks - but you'd better have a Cal. Dept. of Justice certificate of authenticity along with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I have a number of guns w/wooley mammoth grips on them,I have one set that looks exactly like petrified wood & it's also the last pair of grips I ever made,if I can find a picture of them in the near future I'll have someone post it for me due to me being "technically challenged" on this "evil machine",they're on a 4 3/4 .44 spcl.
I made a mistake about the wooley mammoth grips looking like petrified wood,they are actually mastodon ivory.it's gettin late & I ain't thinking straight,this damn medicine I have to take gets me a little foggy about bedtime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts