Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, looking for some opinions. I am a Colt guy and looking to buy my first 1911. I like the history behind the 100 years of service models so I will be buying new. I intend to use this gun as a shooter, not for carry, and therefore have a few questions about performance between the XSE Governement and the Gold Cup Trophy. It will also be a backup home defense gun behind my Python. I know the differences between the two regarding the sights, stocks, safeties, serrations, etc. Assuming that I am neutral on the options between the two, are there noticeable differences between the performance of these two models (trigger, accuracy, types of loads)?I am a good shot but certainly not a competition shooter, I just want a good, solid, accurate shooter that I can enjoy for years. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would do the XSE Government - simpler sights and more economical. Just got the Combat Elite and it is great if you like two-tone guns, which I do, and it doesn't have an ambi safety like regular XSE guns do (not that that is a big negative, but I don't like ambi safeties). Again, simpler sights yet high on the food-chain with the match barrel, etc.

So, what do YOU think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I may be leaning towards the XSE. I'm a lefty so I would have to get an ambi safety for the gold cup, not that that is a big deal to switch. I don't believe the XSE has a match barrel though, correct? Would I even notice the difference in barrels?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking for stainless on this one. I have the nicest bluing I've ever seen on my python and some parkerized guns... it's time for stainless. Unfortunately no one in my area has one of these and I can't find any on Guns America, Gun Broker, or Buds. If you know any good sources please let me know. I've decided on the XSE and am ready to buy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought it! Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know how it is when I get it, I imagine it will be over a week or so before it comes in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts