Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at the New Government 1911 XSE's. Colt makes a lightweight version with a black anodized aluminum receiver, verses a carbon steel receiver on the standard model. Pros & cons of the light weight model ? (Beside the lighter weight) How much lighter is it? Thanks!

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
729 Posts
One of my XSE government's has a lightweight frame and shares the same forged steel slide, barrel, and slide stop as the other Colts on this era.

It's a Model 01880SXE.

The frame is a ligthweight. It weighs in at about 6 oz. less than the full steel version. It work wells after you learn to hold on a little "tighter";). It's a great full size carry weapon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to decide between a lightweight or standard XSE, any other inputs would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
I bought the "Lightweight" XSE Government Model. After owning quite a few GMs as well as some Commanders and LWT Commanders I decided on the LWT XSE because it was a bit different and a nice companion pistol for my LWT XSE .38 Super Commander.

So if you already have a steel framed GM pistol than the LWT would be a serious consideration, but on the other hand either the blued XSE GM or the LWT XSE would be a good choice IMO. I'm not partial to the SS version, but that's just me.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The inherent weakness of the alloy frame is the feedramp.
There are those who put a goodly number of rounds through them without problems, but if you fire it long enough and/or with certain HPs, you run the risk of creating a dent where the bullet nose hits the ramp.

Think about it- aluminum is not as impact resistant as steel under the pressures of constant use.
How many rounds would it take to cause a problem? Dunno.

Mine is at Accurate Plating & Weaponry right now.
Two major areas of concern I had in getting it with intentions to probably carry regularly in place of my older steel GM were that ramp and the razor edges.
After discussions with my trusted longtime local guy and Cogan at AP&W, I had the gun de-horned here, a Kart ramped barrel installed, and the frame stripped of its finish. AP&W will be hardchrome plating the entire gun, replacing the alloy's surface treatment originally done by Colt.

Both gunsmiths have seen buggered feedramps on alloy frames, and when that happens it's either a ramped barrel or a steel insert to fix the problem.
In my case I figured why wait? :)
Just get the barrel done up front & not worry about what I shoot in the thing.

You'll probably get other responses here about never having a problem with an alloy frame, but I've laid out what two gunsmiths I respect have to say about them & my reasoning for going the route I'm taking.
Denis

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
I'm not so sure about hollow point cartridges gouging the feed ramp, but I suppose if that was all you shot out of an alloy framed pistol it might be an issue.

What I do know is that the McCormick magazines with the Devel type follower will tip forward and gouge the feed ramp. But this is below where the round will hit when feeding.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aluminum receivers in a full sized 1911 never made a lot of sense to me, not unless this is going to be your carry gun. Now, one in a commander size makes more sense to me.

I have an XSE that's my workhorse and am very pleased with it. For carry I have a Kimber light weight Commander size but I don't shoot it nearly as much as the XSE. It's dependable but the aluminum feed ramp is prone to dings if I'm not careful to use the right magazine followers.

Sooo ... I'd choose steel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts