Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
This is a good decision as a matter of constitutional principle. Practically, I doubt it’ll make much difference in daily life.

I’ve been through a liberal state, Oregon, going from “may issue” (meaning “usually won’t issue”) to “shall issue” as part of a bipartisan deal as far back as 1989.

The anti-gunners were howling about daily massacres and shoot-outs over parking spaces and such. The pro-gunners predicted armed citizens would result in precipitous drops in crime.

The actual result: Yawn. Nothing discernible. Significant numbers of people including yours truly got licensed, but no indicators at all showed it made any difference to society at large.

My suspicion is that there weren’t really a lot more people carrying guns, there were just a lot more people carrying their guns legally. And as we all know, the ones making trouble rarely bother with licenses anyway, while we still seem to have trouble working out the timing of having a good guy with a gun in the right place at the right time very often.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.