Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might recall, I lucked into a nice New Service 45 Colt that turned out to be a New York State Trooper gun (Troop K) made in 1929.

I bought it off GB with no mention of the NYST background, missing parts, horrible plastic grips and looking like it hasn't been cleaned since FDR was in office. I got it cheep enough that I thought it might be a possible Fitz gun candidate.

Once I got it home I realized (along with some strong feedback from the Forum members) that this was a special gun and no Fitz gun.

Missing parts were found at Numrich.

Period correct stocks were provided by smkummer (wear matches the gun perfectly).

And to my great surprise a NYST holster made just for the NS 45, 5 1/2 provided by turnerriver.

Thank you Gentlemen for helping bring these parts back to make the whole package.

As we've all said many a time "Man the stories this gun could tell..."

I have not shot it yet, but I will. I would love to find a patch or other small item linked to the Troopers or Troop K to go along with the package. Please drop me a line if you have something or a lead.

I feel very honored and lucky to be the caretaker of such a great piece of history.

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
Perserverance pays! That is a fantastic six-gun you now have; holster and all. Hopefully somebody can fix you up with a period NYSP patch, they didn't wear badges, but did have an off-duty badge that as I recall had 5 square sides. I had a replica badge at one time when I owned an N-frame, fixed sight S&W .357 revolver they issued in the late 70's/early 80's.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Nice rig, especially with the correct Audley holster. I served 13 of my 21 year career in Troop K. Congrats and thanks for posting the photos.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
What you ended up with is one thing, but imagine if you didn't know this forum existed. You wouldn't have had all these other guys to help you put it all together. Or you would have done it anyway but would you have found that holster? I wish I knew about this place long ago before I did stupid trades and sanded up grips that are now super expensive. If the guy who sold you the N.S. was a member here and asked about the gun, you wouldn't own it and HE might have put this great package together.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Your holster looks just like mine, that I carry my .38-40 New Service in. I just had to pull it out and see if it had NYST stamps, but it doesn't! One thing I'll say about the Audley holsters is they seem a little unsafe, when you place your finger into the triggerguard to fight with the release button to unholster. They also will scratch the side of the triggerguard, if you let them slide in and "click."
Here's a picture of a NY State trooper you may like:

Photograph Snapshot

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
One more thing, aircraftman. You are so cursed, every time you think you're getting a gun you can chop up, it turns out better in person. I don't know if you'll ever Fitzasize one of these with the "bad" luck you have!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Congrats assembling a great NY State rig. Got me to thinking about this clipping I had, something of a related 'historical document'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts