Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Very nice, and doesn't appear to have been dicked with. The blue loss on the mainspring housing appears more from handling than actual wear. What type of magazine does it have?

It is a Government Model rather than a Model 1911. This is a Model 1911 from 1917.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Can't really tell in the pictures, but the military and commercial magazines were identical except for the higher polish on the commercials.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
JohnnyP, I fully agree about the higher polish commercial mags vs the duller militaries. But.... I see so many commercials with military finish mags and vice-versa that I sometimes wonder how carefully Colt followed this procedure? Yes, I realize how easy it is for mags to get swapped! But on really high condition guns, especially if boxed, it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
From the number of magazines shown with the pistol, how would you otherwise know which one was probably correct?

When Colt transferred a large number of commercial parts to the military contract in WWII, they went to a lot of trouble on the magazines to remove the high polish commercial finish.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
The top is a pre-WWII commercial magazine and the bottom is the same type magazine after Colt gave it a "military" finish. Even the sandblasted and blued commercial magazines are being faked now. Saw a nice Colt 1911A1 on another forum with two of the fake commercial/military magazines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts