Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without a long explanation.....I have a Colt DS 2 mint in the box and a Colt Series 90 9 MM Pocket Nine also mint in box......the little orange plastic things are still in place on both guns and they are unfired. I know that both were only made for a year or two by Colt. Other than that I know nothing of them and hope to sell them soonest. Thing is I know nothing of the price they might bring. Anything anyone can tell me would be so appreciated and welcomed. Is there a place I can sell them? A "going" price? Advice on who not to sell to? I pretty much mean anything you can add would be welcome. I have held the revolver....it feels good holding it. Almost want to keep it. Thanks for any answers. Sarah (Pardon the dual posts....I didnt know which place was the best.)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi Sarah, Welcome to the forum. The best place to establish values would be gunbroker.com type in the model and you can get a rough idea for what people are asking and selling for. If you like you can list them here on the WTS. 99% of the members here are straight shooters and great to deal with. NIB guns will bring a premium from this crowd. Truman

·
Registered
253 Posts
HI SDS;

Welcome to the forum. Can you please post pics. They will help determine an approximate value. Also, if you can post the Serial numbers except the last two or three for privacy and security reasons, that helps date the manufacture of the guns.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Blue Book for the DS II is $600, bids on Gunbroker.com in the $700 to $1000 range for New In the Box.
Blue Book for Pocket Nine is $1100, bids on Gunbroker.com around $900.

Advice on who not to sell to?
For top price, don't sell to your local gun store. They will give significantly less than what you could sell them for yourself. It's the only way they can make a profit when they resell them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Milsurp_Collector.....I assuming you're the "Gun Guy" and its all too good to be true. From there, how, where, do I go to even think of getting a price like this? I have these with a clear ownership and am not exactly the "Gun Lady". I do know both are unfired.....you can actually look at them and tell it's true. Anything else you, or anyone may want to tell me would be really appreciated. Thank you again.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Milsurp_Collector.....I assuming you're the "Gun Guy" and its all too good to be true. From there, how, where, do I go to even think of getting a price like this? I have these with a clear ownership and am not exactly the "Gun Lady". I do know both are unfired.....you can actually look at them and tell it's true. Anything else you, or anyone may want to tell me would be really appreciated. Thank you again.
These would likely interest the collector since they are unfired.

Try this site:

Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com

Be certain to put a reserve price, and a buy now price, in reserved auction. You can also list in classifieds at :

Md 10/71 380acp.Blue adj.sight Browning Pistols > Other Autos for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Locks Philadelphia Gun Exchange. Buy or bid on this Md 10/71 380acp.Blue adj.sight in the category Browning Pistols > Other Autos on GunsAmeri#

In this site you can post a price and then entertain serious offers. Nice Colts

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Hi Sarah, per the rules on this group, reply to another 10 messages, 15 total, and then post a message with your pictures and asking price, in the want to sell Forum, link below.
Want to Sell

Hope this helps, I am sure they will sell for a fair price.

·
Registered
536 Posts
SDG
Milsurp is correct about selling your firearms to a local gun dealer. They will need to buy at a low price so that that can make their money at the retail price.

You do, however, need to be aware that selling a firearm can be somewhat intimidating in that Background Checks and Licensed Federal Firearms dealers need to be involved. If you sell and need to ship the firearm then the shipping also gets a little intimidating. It's not especially difficult but you do need to understand the rules. The folks here will be able to help with the details as your project moves along.

Mac

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to admit.....I choose this site to join because, in a Google search, your answers seemed more friendly to the ignorant....which I am! I so appreciate all of your ('s) advice and comments. The last post ( Thank you) said a reserve price and a Buy it now price....any idea's for the non gun gifted?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, I'm not "the" gun guy, just "a" gun guy. :D

Perhaps the best place to sell would be in the For Sale section of this forum. You have to have at least 15 total posts somewhere in this whole forum before you can sell there Want to Sell

Gunbroker.com is like the Ebay of guns. You list your guns and they are auctioned to the highest bidder like on Ebay. Guns for Sale- Seller Tutorial for Gun Auction Guns Sale- GunBroker.com

By selling on the Internet - either in a forum For Sale area, or on Guns for Sale - Online Gun Auction - Buy Guns at GunBroker.com or Gun Auctions & Guns For Sale at GunAuction.com - you reach a much larger pool of potential buyers with $$$.

If you sell on the Internet, it is critical that you take lots of good pictures to show off your items. It is very important, good pictures make the sale and bring top prices. Here is a tutorial for gun photography How to photograph handguns (or other small items - updated for 2010!) - Calguns.net

After you sell, if the buyer(s) are in another state the firearm(s) must be transferred through a Federal Firearms License (FFL) holder. Even if the buyer lives in your state it is best to go through a FFL, and some states like California require it, even for intra-state sales. It is the buyer's responsibility to find a FFL in his/her area to receive the firearm(s). So after you sell, you send the buyer an email telling them the total price with shipping, what type of payment you accept (accept only money orders or cashier's/certified checks), and your name and address so they can send you the payment and a copy of their local FFL's license. After you receive payment and the copy of the FFL you ship the firearm to the FFL, not the buyer. Contact the FFL to see if they will accept a firearm shipped by you. Many will. Others will only accept a firearm shipped from another FFL. In that case you will have to find a local FFL to ship the firearm for you. Gunbroker.com has a search feature to help you find local FFL holders GunBroker.com - FFL Holder Network

By transferring the firearm through a FFL you will have peace of mind that you aren't selling to a prohibited person (felon, illegal alien, etc.). The FFL will perform a background check at the buyer's expense before allowing them to take possession of the firearm.

Handguns can not be shipped by the US Postal Service (USPS) except when going from one FFL to another FFL. So if you are going to ship the firearm to the buyer's FFL yourself you have to use FedEx or UPS. You generally can't ship a firearm from one of their franchised "UPS Store" type stores, it has to be from a FedEx or UPS depot-type facility. See UPS: Shipping Firearms and FedEx Firearm Shipping Regulations -

This sounds complicated since you have never done it before, but it really isn't. I haven't sold any firearms but I have bought dozens over the Internet (I bought a gun a couple of days ago on Gunbroker.com while I was asleep. I won an auction that ended while I was still asleep). During my lunch break today I went to the bank, obtained a cashier's check, and mailed it and a copy of my FFL 03 to a seller. I'll do the same thing tomorrow for another auction I won.

So to summarize:

1. Take lots of good pictures of your items. Good pictures bring top prices, it is very important.
  2. List your items for sale on this forum (after you have 15 posts) or on one of the Internet auction sites.
  3. After the sale, contact the buyer, tell them the price with shipping and ask them for a copy of their receiving FFL's license.
  4. After you receive payment and the copy of the FFL, contact the FFL to make sure they will accept a firearm from you, an unlicensed person. If they will, ship the firearm to the FFL via FedEx or UPS. If not, find a local FFL in your area and have them handle the transfer to the buyer's FFL.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If you are overwhelmed by all of the above, assuming its legal in your state, you can always sell FTF (face to face) however, I agree that the internet brings the highest money. I dont know your situation, and if you feel safe doing face to face, but IF you did, you could still post it on this forum in the For sale section, and a forum member in your state might be willing to do the drive. The thing then is you have to make sure you are in compliance with all your local, state, and federal laws. I am not recommending you do it, only making sure you know all options. If you still don't feel comfortable selling it, you could probably find a reputable dealer who will take it on consignment for a 10% fee or so. 10% is not too much money in my opinion to have someone else do all the work for you and make sure all the laws are being followed. The main thing is that you know what the gun is worth BEFORE you talk to the dealer or buyer :) Then you know a fair offer when you see it. Just my two cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
What State are you in?? That could also help with how to go about selling them.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Hey. Gun lady or not, this is the place for Colt information.
If you have any interest in these things, you might find something you like, and then its' on.
A respectable collection can be started from right here.
If you don't have any particular interest, look around anyway.
The members here all have an affliction. It ain't fatal, but sometimes pricey to treat effectively.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your business.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think you will get the best deal here. Gun Broker is ok, and you may get more than you can realize here, but lots of pics are a must. What I saw before they were removed, were two excellent specimens of Colts NIB. You now know their approximate value so go for it. Unless just start collecting because you have an excellent start! Good luck there kiddo.:cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya'll have been so sweet to help and guide me. I will try not to take blatant advantage of you all. I'm in Virginia to the one that asked....and the rest is buzzing in my head. Good thing this isnt " hard or complicated", huh? I will digest all of this today and try to get my thoughts together from the wonderful answers and generous advice and try to get back to ask the million more questions I'll probably have. I went to a gun shop over the weekend but left before they could help me....I felt ignorant standing there. Thank you all for not making me feel that way here. Sarah

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sarah, my $0.02, If you ain't strapped for cash, keep those guns as they are a thing of beauty. Also their value will not be like the current housing market and plumet. Their value is here to stay. Who knows you might get so attached to 'em you'll be lookin' all over to find more. Pretty soon you'll be needing a safe to store em all in. :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts