Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my first Colt pistol. I know zero about these guns so I'll try and post a few pics. it was in a collection of other stuff in a plastic case buried at the bottom of a box of re-loading supplies. One Mag is blued and the other is like a silver tin/nickel and both say "Colt Cal .22 L.R. on bottom
The factory target has a date of 9-27-65. The barrel is pretty much mint as is the bluing. I can post more pics if it will help. Serial # 21XXX2-S (is it safe to post entire serial #?)
Thanks in advance for all the help and info. Steve

Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory
Technology Hand Electronic device Gadget
Text Shooting sport Diagram Recreation Circle

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Yes, welcome to the Forum. The 4 1/2" MT is a desirable pistol. In its condition w/box etc., it's worth $2,000 +/- in today's market.

Reactions: 1madcow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa!! Really?? It doesn't have the original box. So the mag- that's blued is the original that came with the gun? Why one blued and the other silver/tin looking? I've been reading gen-1,gen-2, gen-3.... Which is this? The wood grips flare out, is that the "elephant ear"?

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Welcome to the club.....you have a nice type 3 they came with black plastic stocks (early guns) and later pistols came with wood stocks as yours has....the elephant ears are on the very early type one MTs....

I am certainly no expert but others are and can answer the sight question....RR

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Just an FYI, you did post the serial#, it's on the target. Don't feel to bad though, guys do it on GB all the time, targets, boxes, etc.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Nice first Colt, Steve. What a wonderful way to start collecting Colts! I see you have the factory target. No box, but any papers? What a very fortunate find in that box of re-loading supplies. Congratulations!

·
Registered
893 Posts
It's a 3rd Series Match Target but looks like the 6" barrel to me. Nice gun but I don't think it's in the $2000 range. I'd say more like $1500 or so??? With original box and test target maybe more. Condition is everything. At least a grand. The silver mag is stainless steel and was sold by Colt in the 80's? You can get new SS mags for $75-100 and they are plentiful it seems. Blued 3rd Series mags run $50-85 in my recent searches. They are plentiful, too. The 4.5" barrels are less common, I think, and go for more. You'll get a lot of info on Woodsmans from the great guys on this forum. See Mr. Rayburn's excellent website - www.colt22.com & GunBroker for auction prices. I had your same gun years ago but personally like the 4.5" barrel.

·
Premium Member
8,204 Posts
I believe the sights are original despite the different name. The " elephant ear " wood stocks came only on the 1st series Match Target. As soon as you see a set on a gun, the description is self explanatory. Those grips, authentic, can bring as much as 750 to $1k alone depending on bidders and condition. They chipped and cracked over time, so there is a strong market for them. A complete original box, original finish 1st series Match target seems to vary from $2800 to 3.5-$4k depending all on condition. That is why your gun is also worth a little more than you may have expected due to like new original condition. I can't give a good estimate on your gun because of the different variations in models and I don't know the values of the variations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go check out Bob Rayburn's website, 22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman-- you'll learn enough about the Woodsman series to get completely fired up about collecting Woodsmans. Very nice little pistol you have there. I myself am doing the NICS wait for a 2nd Model MT-- I've wanted one since the first time I shot my uncle's back in the late 1950s, and figured if I didn't do it soon I probably wasn't going to get to. Mine has a little finish wear on the flats near the muzzle, and I paid $900 for it without a box, and I figure I got a bargain. I am a happy boy. :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
The 3rd Series Match Targets did have Elliason sights from the factory. Colt apparently sub'd out the target sights to Elliason on the 3rd Series guns. I have a 2nd Series MT 4.5" and believe its adjustable sights were called "Coltmaster" with no name markings on them. At some point Colt used "Accro" sights and then "Elliason", as I understand. Don't know if Accro were made by Colt or a third party.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ductapeman,

With you all the way. Got my 2nd Series MT recently - wanted one for many years and decided I'd better bit the bullet now. I love the 2nd Series 4.5" MT for the mag release button. Had a 3rd Series Sport Target which I loved (got stolen) and had a 6" 3rd MT but was never really in love with it. Now shooting for a 1st Series MT. Then I'll get a 3rd 4.5" MT. I paid $850 for my MT (asked $950) and was fortunate to get free shipping AND a vintage Heiser holster and belt thrown in. All in all net $700. I, too, am a happy boy.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
The 3rd Series Match Targets did have Elliason sights from the factory. Colt apparently sub'd out the target sights to Elliason on the 3rd Series guns. I have a 2nd Series MT 4.5" and believe its adjustable sights were called "Coltmaster" with no name markings on them. At some point Colt used "Accro" sights and then "Elliason", as I understand. Don't know if Accro were made by Colt or a third party.
2nd series MT had Coltmaster rear sight until about 12x,xxx-S and Accro thereafter. The 3rd series MT continued with Accro up to about sn 208xxx-S, and then went to Elliason.

Bob Rayburn
colt22.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, as you can see by the date stamp it's been a little over a year since I got this pistol. Still haven't shot it. I just got offered $800 for it. I think it's worth a few hundred more. Am I wrong? Thanks. I don't get on here much but my email is [email protected]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.