Colt Forum banner

Newbie here, Just got my first Colt! Match target .22

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  colt22man 
#1 ·
Here is my first Colt pistol. I know zero about these guns so I'll try and post a few pics. it was in a collection of other stuff in a plastic case buried at the bottom of a box of re-loading supplies. One Mag is blued and the other is like a silver tin/nickel and both say "Colt Cal .22 L.R. on bottom
The factory target has a date of 9-27-65. The barrel is pretty much mint as is the bluing. I can post more pics if it will help. Serial # 21XXX2-S (is it safe to post entire serial #?)
Thanks in advance for all the help and info. Steve

Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory
Technology Hand Electronic device Gadget
Text Shooting sport Diagram Recreation Circle

See less See more
#7 ·
Whoa!! Really?? It doesn't have the original box. So the mag- that's blued is the original that came with the gun? Why one blued and the other silver/tin looking? I've been reading gen-1,gen-2, gen-3.... Which is this? The wood grips flare out, is that the "elephant ear"?

#9 ·
Welcome to the club.....you have a nice type 3 they came with black plastic stocks (early guns) and later pistols came with wood stocks as yours has....the elephant ears are on the very early type one MTs....

I am certainly no expert but others are and can answer the sight question....RR

#11 ·
Nice first Colt, Steve. What a wonderful way to start collecting Colts! I see you have the factory target. No box, but any papers? What a very fortunate find in that box of re-loading supplies. Congratulations!

Reactions: 1madcow
#12 ·
It's a 3rd Series Match Target but looks like the 6" barrel to me. Nice gun but I don't think it's in the $2000 range. I'd say more like $1500 or so??? With original box and test target maybe more. Condition is everything. At least a grand. The silver mag is stainless steel and was sold by Colt in the 80's? You can get new SS mags for $75-100 and they are plentiful it seems. Blued 3rd Series mags run $50-85 in my recent searches. They are plentiful, too. The 4.5" barrels are less common, I think, and go for more. You'll get a lot of info on Woodsmans from the great guys on this forum. See Mr. Rayburn's excellent website - www.colt22.com & GunBroker for auction prices. I had your same gun years ago but personally like the 4.5" barrel.

#13 · (Edited)
I believe the sights are original despite the different name. The " elephant ear " wood stocks came only on the 1st series Match Target. As soon as you see a set on a gun, the description is self explanatory. Those grips, authentic, can bring as much as 750 to $1k alone depending on bidders and condition. They chipped and cracked over time, so there is a strong market for them. A complete original box, original finish 1st series Match target seems to vary from $2800 to 3.5-$4k depending all on condition. That is why your gun is also worth a little more than you may have expected due to like new original condition. I can't give a good estimate on your gun because of the different variations in models and I don't know the values of the variations.

#14 ·
Go check out Bob Rayburn's website, 22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman-- you'll learn enough about the Woodsman series to get completely fired up about collecting Woodsmans. Very nice little pistol you have there. I myself am doing the NICS wait for a 2nd Model MT-- I've wanted one since the first time I shot my uncle's back in the late 1950s, and figured if I didn't do it soon I probably wasn't going to get to. Mine has a little finish wear on the flats near the muzzle, and I paid $900 for it without a box, and I figure I got a bargain. I am a happy boy. :D

#15 ·
The 3rd Series Match Targets did have Elliason sights from the factory. Colt apparently sub'd out the target sights to Elliason on the 3rd Series guns. I have a 2nd Series MT 4.5" and believe its adjustable sights were called "Coltmaster" with no name markings on them. At some point Colt used "Accro" sights and then "Elliason", as I understand. Don't know if Accro were made by Colt or a third party.

Reactions: 1madcow
#16 ·
Ductapeman,

With you all the way. Got my 2nd Series MT recently - wanted one for many years and decided I'd better bit the bullet now. I love the 2nd Series 4.5" MT for the mag release button. Had a 3rd Series Sport Target which I loved (got stolen) and had a 6" 3rd MT but was never really in love with it. Now shooting for a 1st Series MT. Then I'll get a 3rd 4.5" MT. I paid $850 for my MT (asked $950) and was fortunate to get free shipping AND a vintage Heiser holster and belt thrown in. All in all net $700. I, too, am a happy boy.

#25 ·
Welcome. I have a 3rd series 6" woodsman match target, purchased new by my grandfather. As a young boy I remember my grandfather showing it to me, smile on his face. Purchased with meager funds left to him from my great grandmothers estate. He discarded the box upon purchase. It has been well stored, still a flawless example of fine colt craftsmanship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.