Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I need some help since I am new to the world of Colt revolvers, I know Smith and Wesson's like the back of my hand just kind of clueless when it comes to Colt revolvers. I may be possibly inquiring a 2.5" Nickel Colt Python. The owner clams its 95 percent with a couple light scratches here and there and little scuff and the side plate screw is kind of chewed up. I got a crappy cell phone pic and condition looks more around 90 percent. Has rubber grips. The serial number is 5918X X replaces last digit. What would be the going price for a 90 percent 2.5" Python in nickel ? How tough are they, what should l look out for in buying one of these? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
Is the "E" WITH the serial number as a prefix or a suffix?
If the "E" is stamped on the same line as the numbers it's part of the number.

If not, 5918X was made in 1966.
The letters stamped below the serial number are factory inspectors stamps.

Since the first stainless Pythons were shipped in late 1982, yours is nickel.

The actual frame and cylinder of the Python are very tough. The Python action is not as tough as less refined guns like the Ruger.

I don't even try to stay up on the skyrocketing prices of Pythons.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, appreciate it. The serial number is all numbers. Thanks for clarifying the E below the serial number is the inspector stamp. Since you confirmed its nickel, any one else help me with value?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
What is owner's asking price? As dfariswheel points out, Pythons are going through the roof right now and the prices are all over the board with rarity, condition, box & papers key to valuation. At 90% and without any photos to evaluate, it's a shot in the dark.

Why not offer a grand to feel out his/her reaction and go from there. Best of luck to you, I hope you can get it reasonably! :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner is asking 1,500.00 for it. I saw a couple on gun broker that are nickel and one was pitted bringing over 1,600.00. The condition is at least 90 percent or better. Do you think a 90 percent nickel 2.5 " python is worth at least 1600 then?

Eric

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree, even with any condition "drop" the value, of ANY Python in a 2 1/2 inch supercedes that...I'd buy it, you can replace screws, grips ,parts etc.......and they do clean up quite nicely:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.