Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've inherited 7 guns from my dad who has passed away. I'm trying to learn more about them which is why I'm here.

I have a Colt Army Colt Single Action 357 Magnum and a Colt 150th Anniversary Engraving Sampler that is in a beautiful wooden box lined with red velvet. My dad may have made it or was that an option when he bought it?

Can you tell me what I need to know about these guns to sell them? Not sure if I am going to do that but i'm thinking about it. His guns are in pristine shape, he was obsessive. I've attached some photos.

I also have 3 Rugers, a Walther and a Virginian Dragoon.

Thanks, Mrs. L.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Sorry about the passing of your father. Prayers offered for you and your family. Welcome to the forum from KY. I am sorry that I cannot answer your questions, but I am sure others will be along soon who can.
-Craig

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the passing of your father. Prayers offered for you and your family. Welcome to the forum from KY. I am sorry that I cannot answer your questions, but I am sure others will be along soon who can.
-Craig

Thank you. Dad actually passed away at the end of August in 2012, then my mother followed him 7 months later. To be honest, it's taken me this long to be able to look at them in terms of possibly selling them. My husband's made sure they've been stored properly so they are in the same condition as when I got them.

His collection was such an important part of his life that I guess subconsciously I've been afraid I'd be hit by a lightening bolt if I sold them but i can't help but think they will be better appreciated by someone else. He also did leather work and carved an incredible gun belt that I will NOT sell

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any advice on how to sell these guns? I've been told to stay away from consignment. Told that online is a good way but I can't understand why anyone would want to buy something sight unseen. Do you have to the guns 'authenticated' someway? Not sure I'm going to sell them all but I will sell some.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,173 Posts
Welcome aboard!! The Samplers were made during the early years of Colt SAA 3rd generation production. They were all done by Colt certified Master engravers.
They usually were sold with Colt factory letters denoting the name of the engraver. If that letter has been lost, you can obtain one from Colt Archives, but I suspect it will cost you a minimum of $100. Call our forum member, Paul, who works at Colt Archives. 800-962-2658 ext 1849

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a way to get a letter of authenticity? I know you can do that with other manufacturers.

Thanks, Linda...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts