Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie Question - Post 68\' Guns

I've been hanging out here on the forum for a few weeks after receiving a Lawman MK III, and now a Trooper MK III as gifts. I am trying my best to learn the history of Colt revolvers by reading past threads here on the forum. I do plan to purchase a book or two once we recover from the holiday spending spree /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In the meantime, I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to enlighten me on the difference in quality and/or construction on the pre -Vs. post 68' revolvers.

If I've missed a great description somewhere in the archives, I apologize in advance.

Regards,

- Eric

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Newbie Question - Post 68\' Guns

I'm not quite sure why you picked '68 other then the fact that was the year the Gun Control Act of 1968 went into affect.

I have many Colts from '60s to early '70s to early '80s and one '90s and I see very little or no difference in quality.

Some of the early Pythons of the 1955 on era are just slightly more collectable because of the tuning, finishing and the hollow underlug. Other than that I see very little difference.

By the way, you have two great Colts there, stop worrying.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Dick if you RE read Eric's post again,you will get the idea of what he was asking. He mentions the "pre V's",and I think he means the older I frames,before Colt introduced the entirely new Mk. III series built at the new Rocky Hill facility. These,except for the Python(and the D frames),like the Official Police,"old Trooper" and Officers Targets,sadly met their demise in 1968.

If this is what you are asking,Erice,let us know--and welcome to the Forum.

Bud

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Bud,

I think you're right on! I've read about MK III's not being built as well as pre (some year of Colt). I've also read where the steel used for the pins is hardened and can't be fitted (if necessary). So... I'm just trying to get some background on my two new (to me) weapons. When you do a Google search on Colt Trooper (or Lawman) MK III's I don't find much (but I could be not searching on the proper key words). Finding after market grips seems to be a chore in itself.

I think they are great looking weapons, and the Lawman shoots straight. I'm taking the Trooper out tomorrow the the range, so I'll know more on it after that visit. I'm just wondering if these are considered rugged, reliable, etc.

Thx,

- Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

In the meantime, I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to enlighten me on the difference in quality and/or construction on the pre -Vs. post 68' revolvers.

[/ QUOTE ]

We may have a misunderstanding here regarding interpretation of Eric's post. I read it as "pre-'68 revolvers versus post-'68 revolvers. Only Eric can clarify.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Oh the wonderful English language, be it written or spoken.

Hey Bud, maybe he really means pre "versus" post 68 revolvers. A simple capitalization key stroke error could account for the confusion. Since his focus was on his newly acquired MKIII's, he is drawing the line at pre MKIII's (1968) and MKIII's and newer (post 68).

So how do you like that?

Eric, many will draw a line of quality of workmanship between pre war and post war Colts. Much of this has to do with the old world process of hand fitting and tuning on some of the higher end Colts. The post war Colt revolvers are generally considered to be of lower quality workmanship due to improvements in manufacturing process that eliminated the need for hand fitting. Some of the higher end Colts (e.g Python) continued to be hand fitted post war. Of course this additional labor was reflected in the price.

I do think Dick captured the essence by saying you have 2 fine revolvers. I own a number of MKIII's and I believe them to be of high quality. I have said for years that the MKIII's are the Rodney Dangerfield's of Colt revolvers.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

colt introduced the mk series of guns in 1969. these are good guns however they lack the old style handfitted action. they were made to be more competitive price wise with the s&w`s and ruger guns of the era. little did anyone know the auto pistol was about to dominate the police and civilian market just a few years later.a close side by side inspection of a 50`s-60`s e-i frame will quickly point out the differences.this are very simular to what happened to winchester in 1964, the old hand fit and finish with multiple machining operations gave way to simpler more cost effective processes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Pre-1968 -Vs.- Post 1968.

- Eric

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

You would probably be better understood if you said Trooper vs MkIII. Some see the the word "pre" and think pre-war.
The MkIIIs are good revolvers. Durable, accurate, decent triggers, and still found at good prices. One problem you already found though is the J-frame, which the MkIII is built on, doesn't have many aftermarket stocks/grips.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Eric; If you have the financial resources,and aren't looking for a Colt introduced only after W.W. Two,try and buy fine,original, pre war guns. There is more than age and scarcity as to why they will run you more money(just check the Blue Book).Some of us prefer that "old world" craftsmanship,care and pride that America has slowly been losing since that war.

The question on the 3rd Gen. SAAs,if I can understand his serial number,reflects this. His seems like an early 3rd Gen.and probably IS well made. The last batches,were,IMO,thrown together,by assemblers,not "fitters". I bought one of the last New Frontier SAAs,a 4.75" bbl. in 44/40. After the first 50 rounds,a big gouge had appered as a cylinder ring,in the metal,not just the bluing. I knew gun felt "stiff". By the looks of the internal parts,a file or stone hadn't been used. Yes,shoddy labor,but I suspect that Colt management suspected that "speculators" were buying up the"last production SAAs",to be put away as investments,and never be even turned,let alone shot,so it was "quanity,not quality". Others have seen this in the last"production" batches-not "custom shop guns".

My N.F. is fine now,but it took me some time and work,and it is a very accurate gun,with either of its dual cylinders(.44 Special one I added)

Bud

1 - 10 of 10 Posts