Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 1943 Colt Police Official .38 Special w/ a 4”brl. I have found it hard to find parts and accessories for this gun. I have found stuff for the detective special and the Police Positive guns that look Identical to what I have. My questions are what are the differences between the Police Positive and the Police Official? Also will the grips for the detective and the Positive fit the Official. I need to replace the firing pin (floating style) that is why I am looking for parts for this gun; also the wooden checker grips with the Colt medallion are in poor shape. I have large hands and the handle to this gun is too small do they make aftermarket grips that are larger? This Gun is in great mechanical shape no headshake, and the barrel is still good but the bluing is rubbed off in several areas so I will be re-bluing it soon any suggestions on getting it done, or doing it myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Hi Jason;welcome to the Forum. That 1943 HAS to be a good gun,I was born that year!!

The Official Police was built on what Colt called the E frame,sometimes nicknamed the ".41 Frame".as that was the largest caliber produced on it(nowhere near as large or powerful as todays .41 Magnum).

The Police Positive(and P.P. Special) and the D.Special were built on the smaller D frame.

Parts between these 2 frames are NOT interchangable. I am surprised that you are finding difficulty in finding parts for this gun. The earlier Army Special was identical in most aspects except markings and a few cosmetics to the Official Police. Also,stocks(frequently on eBay) are relatively easy to find. The internal parts from the Officers Models,and service stocks from them will fit.

This size frame,with a few subtle changes,was called the I frame after the war.

A check on eBay should yield the parts,or you can contact "Gun Parts Company" on theirwebsite.

Good Luck with your restoration project,

Bud

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
To make it even easier:
The Official Police has most parts that will interchange with the following guns:
Python.
Old Model Trooper. (NOT the later Trooper Mark III and V).
The Old Model 357.
The various Officer's Model revolvers.
Any Colt revolver listed as an "E & I" frame.

For Parts look at Gun Parts Corporation:
http://www/e-gunparts.com

Gun Parts is THE prime supplier of older Colt revolver parts.

Any grip that will fit the Python or the above guns will fit the Official Police.
Hogue, Pachmayr, and other grip makers offer grips that will fit the Official Police/Python.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Just make sure that you order a firing pin for the Official Police,or Officers Model in .38 Special,as there are .22 versions that use a different pin. Also,the Python,the 357 Model,and some Troopers,have a firing pin mounted in the frame,not the hammer. Just a couple of potential pitfalls.

Have you ever changed out a Colt firing oin?

Bud

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a thought; if you order grips from Gun Parts/Numrich, please be aware that the stock screws do NOT come with the wooden Colt factory stocks any more. They have them; you just have to order them separatly. I know because this just happened to me. Numrich and I are working it out and I will probably be a satisfied customer, but I just thought that you should be aware of this.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, on the Numrich gun parts site the schematic just looks so much diferent for the Police Official than the gun that I have. That is why I was so confused.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The exploded view used on Numrich's website is that of a Python. The Python and Offical Police are built on the same frame so the exploded view would be the same for both models except for a few parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts