Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone that will sell a Colt Python, blued, 6" barrel, unfired, for $600 to me (I currently do not know the age of the gun). That is all the information I have on this gun at the moment. I'm suposed to go take a look at it this weekend. What are some things I should look for to determine if this is a good deal or not?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Newbie with some Python questions.

The only way this would not be a good deal was if the condition was not as represented, or if your conscience didn't allow you to pay less than the gun was worth /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Unfired should show no loss of blueing, scuff marks, etc. and should be mechanically perfect (do a search on how to check timing on this forum).

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks guys, heading out to check it out. I was more or less asking if there were any models made that just aren't worth $600 unfired. I'm guessing by the response that as long as it is in the condition they say it is that it is probably worth at least $600. I'll post back and let you guys know what happens (and pics if I buy it). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OK, I just bought the gun. She looks great. I checked proofhouse.com and the serial number on the gun isn't listed there. K696xx Any ideas? It does not appear to have ever been fired so I'm taking their word for it. Although it is not 100% mint, there are some very small imperfections in the blue on the trugger guard and and also a little discoloration on the left side of the hammer. No scratches or wear marks though. So, I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it. I'll post pics as soon as the camera battery gets some charge in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Ok, here are a couple of pics of the new snake. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here are the two imperfections I found. Is there any remedy for them? If not I think I can live with them. I just hope they don't totally devalue the gun.

I think I got a pretty good deal. Either way, I'm happy with it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
909 Posts

You did well. As to the imperfections, just rub a little gun oil onto the trigger guard to prevent any further corrosion, and call it good. Since it isn't blued, you can use a little polishing compound on the side of the hammer (Simichrome, etc.) to gently remove those marks. You want to preserve the finish without removing it.

Someone else can help with your serial date, as my guide just goes up to '78. Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts