Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took a break from SAA and 60's & 70's Hi Power buying long enough to resume my first love...the 1911. Grabbed this from Gunbroker (what an aptly named business) I'm broker every time I look at that website it seems. This is a Lew Horton Bright Stainless with jeweled hammer, grips safety, barrel, and barrel bushing. It also comes wearing real Elephant Ivory grips with the Silver Colt Medallions. I was told they only made 25 of these bad boys. To me this is a real classy looking piece of iron. I'm thinking this one deserves a shoulder holster, I can see it now..... lol These pics are from the auction, I'll add some more once it is in hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
An extra fine looking Government model.
Noticed it was sold by Keystone Arms. The keystone guy was a very regular poster here some few months back and seemed to always represent some high class Colts. ((Not that there is any other kind :D )

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I'm pretty sure Sonny had a Bren Ten.
But that 1911 thing would be at least as effective, and even nicer to look at.
During the first season, he used a Bren Ten pistol carried in a Ted Blocker "Lifeline" shoulder holster rig.[4] Due to Don Johnson's dissatisfaction with the "Lifeline" rig, the Jackass Leather Company (later renamed Galco International)[4] "Original Jackass Rig"[4] shoulder holster rig was personally fitted for him by Rick Gallagher (President of Galco).[4] Finally the Galco "Miami Classic" shoulder holster was designed and used.[4] The Bren Ten, manufactured by Dornaus & Dixon, was a stainless steel handgun notable as the first ever chambered in the powerful 10mm Auto caliber. The Bren Ten was originally manufactured as a two-tone weapon: the carbon steel slide was black oxide and frame was stainless steel. The model used in Miami Vice had a hard chromed matte finished slide so that it showed up better during night shots. The pistol used in the show was chambered in .45 ACP, as opposed to the standard 10mm Auto. After the Dornaus & Dixon company went out of business in 1986, the product placement contract went to Smith & Wesson.[1][5][6] Starting with the third season, Sonny used a 2nd Generation series Smith & Wesson Model 645.[1] This was a full-sized 5-inch-barreled stainless steel service pistol in .45ACP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John, that's gorgeous. I noticed the end label says brushed stainless but it sure appears to be bright. I know Marc at Keystone offers a polishing service.
Interesting Rick, I saw Marc had the matching pistol to mine in .38 super for sale as well. According to the auction notes, Lew Horton did all the "prettifying" of these pistols with only 25 being made. A letter from Lew Horton is included in the package, once it arrives here I'll peruse the letter and see what gives. My thoughts are, the pistol simply started as a brushed stainless model 01091 and then it was sent to LH for their customization.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Interesting Rick, I saw Marc had the matching pistol to mine in .38 super for sale as well. According to the auction notes, Lew Horton did all the "prettifying" of these pistols with only 25 being made. A letter from Lew Horton is included in the package, once it arrives here I'll peruse the letter and see what gives. My thoughts are, the pistol simply started as a brushed stainless model 01091 and then it was sent to LH for their customization.
John,

You can call Lou Horton and talk with their records guy. They are very nice and accommodating.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would swap out the trigger & msh to match the rest of the gun.
Please tell me that it's not sporting a plastic trigger and MSH.... was wondering about that actually. I'm also thinking that a matching jeweled trigger and MSH would look great on it. Who would one contact to get the exact matching parts ? Do you think Colt would have them, or maybe make them for me ? This one is a "keeper" so I feel free to put those pieces on, if they can be found, and just keep the originals in the box.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John, You can call Lou Horton and talk with their records guy. They are very nice and accommodating.
The name "Lew Horton" has been around plenty, but I was unaware that he was a large distributor of firearms until checking out this 1911. A call to find out any more info they have on this beauty is a good idea. :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hey! Forget shoulder holster! That one deserves a Galco Yaqui Slide so people can see it.

A smooth stainless steel msh can be had. It can be jeweled certainly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts