Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Very nice. I am not very knowledgable about knives, nor do I own many (TSA has taken a fair number of expensive autos out of my bags over the last few years), but that is a nice looking knife.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Y' know, importation of this knife would be somewhat difficult here. Our pea-brained lawmakers find double edged knives to be very frightening.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tranter - if it helps (although this one isn't for sale) the edges are unsharpened and the blade tip has a slightly rounded profile.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bet you are Lou....I know one thing about you...wave a beauty like that in front of you and you'd follow it anywhere ;)
I guess I'll have to show you a couple more of the custom knives that I own and sell...

Two Ed Kalfayan Searles style bowies, two totally different finishes

Scrimshaw by my ex-wife

Fred Rowe knife, scrimshaw by my ex-wife

Knife by Jim Downs of Ohio, engraved by Harry Limmings Jr of Ohio. The engraved pins in the handle are 1/16th" diameter

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I had a table at a knife show in Clawson, MI today. Some new knives bought but found out the "real" value of the dagger. When it was sold without the engraving and scrimshaw it was sold by the maker for $750. The engraving and scrimshaw were done by Joe Rundell, one of the best, for around $800. I paid $650 for it! Score.

On a side note, from 0900 until 1700 there wasn't even 50 paid guests. I was lucky; I did sell one knife although I bought 3 and traded a knife for a Gerber scrimshawed belt buckle knife, called a Touche.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,524 Posts
Thanks guys. I had a table at a knife show in Clawson, MI today. Some new knives bought but found out the "real" value of the dagger. When it was sold without the engraving and scrimshaw it was sold by the maker for $750. The engraving and scrimshaw were done by Joe Rundell, one of the best, for around $800. I paid $650 for it! Score.

On a side note, from 0900 until 1700 there wasn't even 50 paid guests. I was lucky; I did sell one knife although I bought 3 and traded a knife for a Gerber scrimshawed belt buckle knife, called a Touche.
Your knife was engraved by one of the best. I have been friends with Joe for many years and when I lived in Michigan we used to get together for lunch often. We traveled together to the Engravers show in Vegas several times. His stock carving is the best in the world.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the knives from the show that came home with me:

A very small show, hardly any paid customers; maybe a total of 50 people. I did manage to sell one knife, a Mudbone Damascus Scagel style knife; and of course I picked up a few. Here's what I got; paid for three of them, traded into the Gerber Touche Knife/Belt buckle.

Miniature forged, Damascus axe made by Lee McDowell Bad Axe (of course), MI. The handle is 6" long

Gerber Touche Belt Buckle Knife with scrimshawed scale

Don Cowles "Odd Duck" Alabama Damascus, Lignum Vitae scales

Butch Valloton Two Step neck knife. A trick of a knife; the blade retracts part way into the handle when sheathed...

·
The Consummate Collector
7,524 Posts
I used to be an avid collector of hand made knives and owned knives made by most of the Michigan knife makers. I have sold most but kept a few favorites. Here are a couple that were made by Michigan knife maker Webster Wood:

A 12" blade 18" overall length engraved art dagger with gold inlay and Ivory:

A 12" blade & 18" overall length stag handle Bowie:

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hi CWO4USGRET;

You paid $650.00 for that knife? Unbelievable!! I do happen to know a little about knives and I would value yours at, at least $2,000.00

The level of craftsmanship on the blade, as well as the engraving on the hilt and pommel is superb. Finally, the scrimshawed image of what appears to be a Norseman standing in a stone archway is absolutely amazing, and right up there with masters such as my old friend Harvey Hilderbrand, from Illinois, and my friend, and Canadian scrimshander Charles Hargraves who have both done scrimshaw works of art for Royalty.

That is one very beautiful dagger you have there, and it will make a wonderful family heirloom.

Bud

Since I don't foresee selling it in the near future, I paid $650 for it; well below what it should fetch if sold in the right arena...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Knife by Wayne Clay, scrim by Denise Kondrla, Buffalo Horn scales, engraved nickel silver bolsters & pins:

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Love these beautiful modern knives but I have to make-do with my oldies. Top is a family hand-me-down with the legend it was captured in the Civil war and used butchering hogs thereafter. Next is marked Westa Sheffield & has Mexican eagle. Below is by Tiffany New York, both bowie & Tiffany collectible.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rhmc - now those are KNIVES! Love the Tiffany.

I found a cardboard box on my front porch this afternoon (before the wife got home heh heh heh) from Kentucky. It is my newest folder, by Gene Baskett; although a knife, it definitely has a 1911 relationship. I'll let the pictures do the talking:

The black scaled knife is Gene's 5th 1911 knife he made.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I'm not in the same class as you folks are with knives. I have a very nice Gerber MK1 that I bought cheap, a few Gerber black handled LSTs from when they first came out, and my favorite production folders, all variations of the Microtech Socom Elites and mini Socom Elites.

Here's the only pictures I have of any of my knives. It's a standard size Microtech Socom Elite Auto hanging out with my HK USP CT 45acp and it's CCF suppressor. The suppressor is a licensed copy of the Swiss B&T 45acp suppressor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts