Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Colt branded holsters for Frontier Scouts that are not listed in any Colt publication that I know of. They are part of the "C" series of holsters that are shown in catalog H-1000 which was published in 1957 (I think). I have a price list of these holsters dated September 1, 1957 and it shows holsters numbered from C-1 to C-21. The two holsters I have are numbered C-22F and C-23F and they both fit the Frontier Scout revolver perfectly. I've had the C-22F for some time, but the C-23F is new to me. These two holsters are very similar in construction to the other holsters in the series which appear to be plain, simple holsters designed more for use than for looks. Given that this catalog and price list were published in the fall of 1957 and the Frontier Scout was actually introduced in early winter of that year, it makes sense that the holsters wouldn't be shown in them. Both are marked on the back with model numbers and a circular stamp with the serpentine Colt logo and "Hartford Conn. Made in USA" in very small letters. I'd appreciate hearing from other members who might have examples of these holsters or others from the C series.
- Buckspen

View attachment 39433 View attachment 39434 View attachment 39435

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a holster I bought new in I believe 1967. It was made for a Colt Frontier Scout .22. It looks similar to the one in the left picture. It is stamped in the back 9S and has the Colt Logo in an oval with the Made In USA at the bottom.
On edit, it is made for the 4 5/8" bbl.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Boy!! Talk about economy huh?

Not sure if the dates coincide but this is the sort of thing that those young Pony Express lads might have worn. Very plain, very cheap to make and buy, and every bit of it utility. What a terrific holster for those that weren't interested in showing off their "money."

Nice little holster for sure.

Bud

·
Registered
940 Posts
Bruce, I have one but like you can find no mention in any of my Colt holster literature. I have some promotional dealer literature regarding holsters in addition to the catalogs but can find no mention of these model numbers. They must have advertised them somehow. Last year I had a table at the Lakeland, Fl. Gun show & my neighbor was one of the co-authors of a book on Colt paper. If he comes to the fall show I'll see if he can shed any light.Regards,turnerriver

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John - How great to see another one! Yours appears to be in a little better condition than mine and mine has a rawhide hammer loop (doesn't show in the photo) that I suspected was not original. I see yours doesn't have one, so now I'm sure it's not.

It's weird that mine is marked C23F and yours is marked C22F. How wonderfully strange! I'm sure that these holsters were added to Colt's product line in order to take advantage of the popularity of the Frontier Scout revolvers and just never got shown in their infrequent leather catalogs.

vietvet... - The 9S Frontier Scout holster is shown in the H64 Colt holster catalog which was probably published in 1964. I also have a price list which shows this holster and it is dated June 1, 1964. The 9S holster would have a safety strap (the "S" designation) and was available in russet or black with a plain or basketweave finish. It is indeed similar in appearance to the C22F holster shown above (the one on the left in my photos), but is of better quality and made of thicker leather.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well I don't know where this takes us but, I have a left and a right Bianchi that are marked .22 SA #1. I think at one time they called it a "Lawman"[ or #1 L]. That makes sense to me because they are pretty much a Tom Three Persons design.They are excellent "minimalist" holsters. Mine are both for the 4 +" barrels. I believe lately they were only available in 6" or 6 & 1/2" .I had Thad Rybka make me a custom rig 15 or so years ago for the short .22 New Frontier with a pouch for the .22 Mag. cylinder,two pouches for .22 LR and .22 Mag.,a pouch for a Buck folder[.45 Mag. pouch] and a belt to use an original Tiffany Colt belt buckle.I really like the minimalist design and if you look closely you will see a similar holster called the "Duke" .John Wayne was not as shallow as some might have thought. Contact me by PM if you a Thad Rybka contact. Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts