Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it certainly is a very "Scarce" model Cobra-and, it's pretty difficult to find one of these 3-inch(.22 cal.)Cobra's in NIB condition like this one is!

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
They are apparently relatively scarce and command a premium, but the .22 was offered only in 3". Nice find, nice gun. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
BTW, that is one gun I find very appealing because I think it is a nice size and weight for a .22. It's much more in "proportion" than some. And it is amazing to find one with the whole package so nice.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Colt 38,

That is a very sweet piece!

Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
778 Posts
We have one in unfired condition, and they are hard to find in really good shape, because of the soft alloy frame.

What we don't have is that beautiful box. Makes my mouth water. Super fine addition to your collection.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes it is a 22 cal. All 22's to my knowledge had 3" barrels. From what I hear, they are pretty rare.

We found ours in a gun shop we frequent. It just turned up one day when we dropped in. It had not yet been put out on display. We asked the manager if he had got anything new lately, and he went in the back, and brought it out.

It had not been tagged yet, and he had to call the owner for a price.

We just got lucky. Had it been put on display, it would not have lasted half an hour.

We shoot most of our guns, but not this one. This along with our nickel Viper have alloy frames, and we don't want them dinged up.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
All 22's to my knowledge had 3" barrels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concure. Scarce -, but not rare. All 22's came with 3" barrels.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robba:

Like you, I also have an unfired Viper-but, it's a blue one, instead of nickel! Oh well, at least my Viper will now be in good company with my newly found, Cobra .22! Thanks for giving me the information regarding your Nickel Viper!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Congrats on the Viper. They are not easy to find either. Much harder than a Cobra. One of the rarest snakes.

My nickel Viper is NIB, so at least I got a box with that one. Only one cylinder hole has a little black around it. So I guess Colt fired just one test shot at the factory.

You are picking up some decent revolvers. Looking for them to me is a large part of the enjoyment.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a question about the above mentioned Viper. I have one NIB, has everything in box, it is blue, are the blue or nickle worth more? And what is mine worth-about? Any help appreciated as collector guns is not my long suite.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Normally the nickel will be worth somewhat more, but in the case of the Vipers, because of their rarity I don't believe it would be as much of a factor.

I would not sell mine for a $1,000.00.

Get on the auction sites, and try to search for one. NIB is just about unheard of.

I found mine in a gun shop we frequent, and he just did not know of its rarity, or its true value . We paid just over $500.00 for it, and I went giggling out of the store.

Having one sure gives you a leg up on a Colt snake collection if you wish to go in that direction. Other than a Boa, the Viper is probably the next most difficult Colt snake revolver to aquire in pristine condition.

If I saw another one, I would buy it as an investment.

Hope this helps, lucky you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts