Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a pristine, unfired, NIB Colt DS. It has NO cylinder turn line, no marks or scratches. There is still factory grease on the breechface.

It comes with all papers, manual, box and wax wrapping paper.

Should I shoot it or keep it pristine? I'd love to shoot it, but if it's going to gather significant value in the future, I'd rather keep it boxed.

Any thoughts? Values?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would shoot it.
I don't have any "Safe Queens"
If I did't want to shoot then I'd sell it and buy a couple of shooters.

But thats just me.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
Shoot or not depends on the age.
The First Model Detective Special was made from 1927 to the mid-1960's.

If it's a pre-War gun, it would have a fairly high collector value, and should NOT be fired or even handled too much.

If it's a post-War, the value is less RIGHT NOW.
If you kept it 20 or 30 years, it too would have a high value.

The number of firearms that survive in new condition with the original box and all papers are rare.
As time passes, they become more and more valuable.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If it's a early DS with a square butt DO NOT shoot it. But then again, if you did shoot it the value of my DS would go up because there are getting to be less virgins out there.

If you wanted a shooter, why did you buy this gun? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If it's a square butt, just sell it to me and you can buy yourself a shooter.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
sorry i cant answer you right now,just found an old 5$ gold coin and think i will take it to hardee`s and buy me breakfast!! did i make my point!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
sorry i cant answer you right now,just found an old 5$ gold coin and think i will take it to hardee`s and buy me breakfast!! did i make my point!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Beltfedleadhead!

It looks like you're getting about the same answers here as you got at GT, but I really kinda like the one quoted above.

I'm sure that if you post the gun's serial number, someone will give you it's date of manufacture.

And....Got pics? I'd be glad to post them for you if you want to send them to me.

Butch

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The SN is 8476xx. According to the dbase that puts it in the '64-'65 timeframe. Now how does that affect its value as a collector or a shooter?

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can get an accurate value of the gun in the Blue Book. Alot of people will give you advice to shoot it. They aren't the ones who have the reduced value gun after it is shot. If it's the only 38 snubby that you have you may just want to shoot it. However, I have several older NIB gun that I never intend to shoot. I don't use them for investments as much as I just enjoy collecting them "because I can". Do what feels right to you. My opinion is that if you have another similar gun, don't shoot it. I shoot my S&W J frames, not my NIB Colts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts