Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NIB Colt S/S Target 22 6\"

I wasn't really looking for one but found a NIB Target 6" Stainless Steel 22 with the integral scope base that was just too good of a deal to pass on. The store had two that they had just bought as part of a gun shop buy out. No other Colts though. The other 22 had an 1/8" section of barrel that was of greater diameter, machining goof, so I was glad that had one that was perfect. I'm not sure if these are collectable enough to not shoot or if I will shoot it. Anyway, it's always a good day when you buy another Colt. I've just got to wait a few days for it to get to Nebraska as it was an out of state purchase.
Darnell

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: NIB Colt S/S Target 22 6\"

Congrats. I need to pickup one of those too. I always shoot my Ruger MkII and love it. Eventually, the gun will be collectable. Much depends on what happens to Colt in terms of future production. At one time the Woodsman models weren't collectable either. Now look at them. Even the low end models such as the Huntsman and Targetsman are collectable.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Darnell, post pics when you get it! Here's my pair of 22s (NIB):

I figured my Colt collection could use a .22LR pistol so I picked these up as I was really looking for other Colts.

I've considered shooting them but the field strip procedure is a pain compared to the "Frankenstein" Ace I use for rimfire shooting (I'm more used to the 1911 style gun).

Enjoy your pistol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Blokey,
Nice set you've got there! I'll post a pic when I get mine home.
I'll have to keep an eye out for a NIB 4 1/2" so I can have a matched set like you! I saw a 4 1/2" at a gun show over the weekend but it was not NIB, only about 90%.
There are a few out there yet. I know where a set of 4 1/2"ers are, one black and one stainless in a glass topped presentation case. The price seemed way high to me.
Thanks for sharing the pics,
Darnell

·
Registered
711 Posts

Yes, IIRC when Colt reintroduced their 22 in SS it was originally called the Colt Cadet.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushwhacker:
Nice pistols. Weren't these called Colt Cadets when they came out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, but Colt didn't do their homework, and had to back off using the Cadet name because Coonan was already marketing a gun under the Cadet model name.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Nice gun Darnell! Although modern, these guns don't seem to pop up that often so you have to grab 'em when you get the chance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I noticed one problem with this pistol. The text on the left side of the frame is crooked. Colt...Hartford... is just slightly at an angle. I was going to save this and keep it NIB. WIll this take much from it's value? It really bugs me that I didn't notice it when I bought it. I probably wouldn't have had I noticed this. It makes me mad every time I look at it. I'll probably sell it and make sure I'm more careful next time.
Darnell

·
Registered
711 Posts

Darnell,

Now that you mention it, I can see what you mean in your pics. Hold on to it because finding another Target Model might take a while. In the meanwhile, if you feel that it may have lost some collector value because of this, you might as well enjoy it at the range.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Blokey,
I'm just mad at myself for not noticing it before the purchase. How I overlooked it is beyond me. I normally look a gun over so close, I guess I've never seen this so I didn't pay that much attention to the cant of the engraving. Lesson learned. I have too many other rimfires that I shoot so I don't need another shooter. Wanted a perfect one to put away. I'll get this posted and move it so I don't have to be reminded of my stupidity every time I open the safe.
Darnell

·
Registered
535 Posts

What in the Wide World of Sports are these!? I must've been asleep for the year these came out!? New - newer .22 Colts? Never heard of 'em? Tell me more?!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

rcwambold,
I don't know too much about them other than they were made in the late 90's, only for a couple of years. Polymer frames, two different barrel lengths, the 6" has the integral weaver-style rail for scope mounting. I see a few 4 1/2"ers around but only an occasional 6" Mine will be posted in the classifieds soon if you're interested.
Darnell

·
Registered
535 Posts

Well, thanks, DG! How do these compare to the Rugers? (I won't ask about comparing to the vintage Woodsman series - or should I?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

RC,
I'm not sure what you mean by compare...
I stated polymer frame, it's actually just the grip that is polymer. I've never had a Ruger so I couldn't give much input. I know it doesn't look as nice as my blued S&W Model 41 and the grip angle is a little more drastic. I'm putting it in the classifieds. You could buy it and then have first hand knowledge of it. LOL
Darnell

·
Registered
711 Posts

Just checking the forum and was thinking about your question. You know I don't think the skewed rollmark will have any effect on the value of the gun. I've seen, and I own, a couple of guns that don't have perfect rollmarks. I've seen rollmarks that go light to heavy from one side to the other, heavy/light/heavy rollmarks and skewed. I think the "VP" mark on most Colts I've seen are never perfect although this may be because it's hand stamped instead of machine.

Selling the gun is of course up to you but I personally would keep the gun (OK the rollmark will stare back at you every time you look at the gun) and continue with the collection. Of course if you sell it with no money lost, then that's no skin off your nose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts