Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and not really up on colt revolvers. I have come across a BNIB, never fired colt python silhouette for sale by a local gentleman. It is has the original wood grain box w/manual & paperwork. It is absolutely prestine. He is asking a bit over $3k for it and is holding it for me until next Wednesday. I know pythons have really taken off in the past few years in value, and I am thinking hard about picking this one up.

He says he may still have the scope for it and is checking, but as of right now I will just assume it is just the pistol.

Is that a fair price on the pistol? I have been doing some looking on the net and see some sell for $3200 on up to the $7-9k range.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
First off technically no Python is "never fired" all were test fired at the factory. Second, if it was really BNIB it would definitely have the scope that came with it, the gun might new in box still but it still would have major condition issues based on the missing scope. I'm not an expert on silhouettes so maybe someone can else can determine if a wood grain box would be correct. The silhouette is a later model (no 8" barrels were produced by colt until 1980); so I'm not sure the correct one would be wood grain. All that being said, the ten pointer and silhouette models are rare but they are kind of a niche within the market. People tend to ask for crazy numbers because they know they were low production, but honestly the vast majority of collectors don't even want them. It takes a very special buyer to purchase one so I would advise that now knowing that decide what it's worth for yourself accordingly.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The "Silhouette" model Python left Colt in a custom metal case. A "Wood Grain" cardboard box would in incorrect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "Silhouette" model Python left Colt in a custom metal case. A "Wood Grain" cardboard box would in incorrect.
Even if the box had the serial # on it on the factory label and the pistol barrel is rollmarked with Python Silhouette?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off technically no Python is "never fired" all were test fired at the factory. Second, if it was really BNIB it would definitely have the scope that came with it, the gun might new in box still but it still would have major condition issues based on the missing scope. I'm not an expert on silhouettes so maybe someone can else can determine if a wood grain box would be correct. The silhouette is a later model (no 8" barrels were produced by colt until 1980); so I'm not sure the correct one would be wood grain. All that being said, the ten pointer and silhouette models are rare but they are kind of a niche within the market. People tend to ask for crazy numbers because they know they were low production, but honestly the vast majority of collectors don't even want them. It takes a very special buyer to purchase one so I would advise that now knowing that decide what it's worth for yourself accordingly.
10-4, thanks for the info. The owner says he is pretty sure he has the scope and is looking for it. I should have clarified, it has not been fired outside the factory.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Even if the box had the serial # on it on the factory label and the pistol barrel is rollmarked with Python Silhouette?
I'm not saying this is one of them, but there quite a few "fudged" labels out there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not saying this is one of them, but there quite a few "fudged" labels out there...
10-4, understood. I appreciate the info. It is a beautiful pistol..... it looks exactly like the one you posted. Not a mark on it. No sign of use or firing outside of anything factory on the cylander or barrel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's exactly what I thought. It should be a red flag that he has the box and everything together but doesn't have the scope right there with it. They definitely would have sold it as a complete one box package no matter what, so how they would ever be separated in a BNIB situation would be a serious question. The wood grain boxes are for the early Pythons only. I'm talking 50s and 60s. It sounds like without knowing the guy he's trying to make a quick buck on someone who walks by has never seen one of those before but has heard of the value of Pythons and makes a quick decision without doing research.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
The wood grain boxes are for the early Pythons only. I'm talking 50s and 60s.
Actually, the "Wood-Grain" Colt box with the white inner foam liner was produced through the early 80's...

Reactions: 68python

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
This Silhouette pictured in the link is the only way it left the factory. It was shipped in the suitcase shown, NOT in a separate box. The whole suitcase came in a big brown cardboard box with no markings on the outside, just a Colt label on the end of the box that had the name and serial number. That's how both of the ones I have came and all others I have seen since.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Actually, the "Wood-Grain" Colt box with the white inner foam liner was produced through the early 80's...
Yep, it just depends on what "type" of wood grain is being discussed. Actually, they pretty much used a wood grained box from '55 until the '90s when the blue case and picture sleeve took over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is a link to an original "factory complete/correct" Python Silhouette: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/708934357
I am in shock that Silhouette sold for that price! I have one about 99% (the gun, the case has a couple of scratches) and didn't pay anywhere near that on GB.

Lumberjack can really pull in an auction...I guess his reputation precedes him...kudos to him

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate the info guys.

I'll probably pass due to the responses here. I do have one more question. I had told a buddy about it and I think he still wants it due to him just liking pythons in general. If it is a legit pistol (which I am guessing should be verifiable with Colt researching the serial #), what would be a fair price for just the pistol in at least 95% condition?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Would estimate an excellent real Silhouette revolver ( it's not a pistol ) -around 2.8-3 K.
Would rather have a excellent regular 8" blued Python w/ the original box and papers, however.

Like new w/ case and accessories, no shipping container , 5.5-6K.

The 9+K bid for the true collector- grade NIB w/ shipping container Silhouette , that Snakeman99 linked, demonstrates the power of that last few % of condition.
As well as the bidders' confidence in the veracity of that seller.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
For those interested in Colt scoped revolvers, member Keystone has a Silhouette and a Whitetailer listed on GB now. Both not seen in complete set, excellent condition, frequently.
Probably because in the '80's the ones sold , were used their intended purpose of handgun hunting and silhouette shooting , which was quite popular at that time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
.....something to consider....is many of these guns experienced finish problems due to being stored in metal cases with the foam.....given the probable fake box...lack of scope...i am betting this is a refinished gun .....just saying go in with your eyes wide open seems to me the seller is less than straightforward... buyer beware

1 - 19 of 19 Posts