Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a perfect original finish blue python need to remove side-plate. have done it on another one, know about the screwdriver bits, but still quezzy.

any other "tip" for me?

want it to look untouched. After all, Colt put the thing together

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
When you have the screw removed (and the grips of course) just turn the revolver over in your hand and over a soft cloth or towel, tap the opposite side of the frame with the wooden handle of a screwdriver.

Never, ever, use any type of tool to pry it up. A few light taps with the wooden handle and it should just drop off onto the towel with little effort at all.

I hope this helps you out.

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Shouts...A1A!!!!
It's not getting the sideplate loose without prying, it's just dealing with the screws knowing that Murphy is always looking over your shoulder. Yes, I would be apprehensive too. Be sober, rested and focused. :rolleyes: I believe dfariswheel would recommend that you ensure a clean surface/cloth without grit or debris (and maybe more). Be sure your downward pressure on the screwdriver is firm to keep the blade fully seated. I would ask myself if it is really necessary just because and only you can answer that. :cool:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
Also the cylinder really should come off first, along with the grips.

I recommend using the butt of a plastic screwdriver to impact the grip frame. The harder plastic does a better job of vibrating the plate loose.
I always held the frame plate side up. If you hold it plate side down, it drops off and the cylinder latch and spring can spring out and possible get lost or damaged.

Holding the frame plate side up and one finger in front of the cylinder latch and another finger lightly on the side plate allows vibrating the plate loose but not to the point where it jumps off and chatter marks the frame and plate.
Once loose, you can simply lift it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts