Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An aquaintance has offered me a NIB Nickel Viper for $600.00. How rare are they, and is this a fair price? It has a foam insert in the box. It looks to be unfired. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks, Robba

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I think the last 2 nickels I saw NIB sold for $1100 & $1200.
I would think (if my math is correct) that $600 sounds like a Shmokin' deal.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much guys! I will try not to seem to anxious tomorrow when I go to pay him & pick it up. You all are a great help to those of us who have a lot of knowledge about a lot of things, but less about specific models. We all know how easy it is to buy the wrong thing because of not researching it enough. By the way this Viper seems very light in weight. I am assuming it has an alloy frame. Again thanks for taking the time to reply, and help out with this info. We could find no Vipers on G & A to compare prices. Do any of you know how many were made? Again thanks for your replys and info. Robba

Robba

·
Registered
715 Posts
I recently bought an NIB blue one for just under $1000 that's why I say go for it, $600 is a great deal. Yes, the Viper is aluminum framed; it's basically a Cobra with a 4" bbl. They are hard to find because I'm pretty sure they only made them for one year in 1977, I don't know what the production number was. Of course, it's sought after by Colt snake collectors because it's probably the hardest snake to find apart from the Boa.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up nickel Viper this afternoon. It look like its been fired one time probably by the factory. Box look sort of ratty but for 27 years or so I guess thats normal. All info is on the gold box flap, and the manual is like new. What are the other snake models folks are collecting? We never started out to do a snake collection, but it looks like its finding us. We have a Ultimate stainless 6" Anaconda, Two 2-1/2" Pythons, one blue, and one stainless. What are the rest. Some I believe are pretty hard to find. Thanks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
robba,

I posted a thread on my Colt snake collection, check it out:

Colt Snakes

This may help you with your list.

BTW - Congrats on the Viper! Post pics if you can.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Blokey. Looks like we have a ways to go. Guns are where you find them. This nickel Viper sat in this gun shop for months. No one seemed to be interested in it until we saw it. Most gun shop customers in Florida are looking for a carry, or home protection pistol. So the collector stuff sometimes sits awhile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts