Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a Colt SAA which may be offered for sale. Pictures make it look nice but the owner can't give me much detail at this point about originality. The grips may or may not be original Colt. The gun is from before 1915, so it is possible they are original. Can't tell if the Colt insignias are bronze or not. Owner is getting an expedited Colt letter which may tell us more. He said it has been in his wife's family for many years and he has been told it could be worth $7000-70000. I can't see even the lower number as value, but with the limited info I've given, would like some opinions.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too many variables at this point to really assess the value.The Letter will tell you a bit(most importantly the original configuration in which it left the Factory as well as actual date), but not the whole story.
If the gun is refinished or not matching #'s, doesn't letter, etc., worth probably $1500-?, depending on condition.
If it is all original has not been messed with in any way, letters,grips are original to the gun and it really is a 1st gen, factory display case, etc, then it could easily be a $5K+ gun.
The overall finish just looks too good to me at this point for it to be original, but I am just guessing. The case hardening also just looks too good to be that old...case colors fade with time and this Colt looks like Turnbull just did it yesterday! However, if you notice the difference in case colors and finish from the left side with the right side, the right side looks demonstrably better..reason probably is that the gun was stored in the display case left side down, which always results in the 'up-side' looking better than the 'down-side'
Just not enough info to really appraise the value yet.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It is possible that those are original Colt ivories...The medallions are the desirable "deep dish" with the Colt facing forward on both sides.

·
Registered
382 Posts
From the available photos (which don't tell much), I would think a refinish. I can't tell if the hammer sides were just polished bright, or the hammer replaced. And the casing is modern. As to the grips, they sure look like original ivories, but are they original to this gun? When did Colt first start using the medallions on SAA grips?

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
From looking at a bunch of single actions through the years I would say in the area of 1911 you start seeing deep set medallions where the colt is facing forward towards the muzzle on each side. They are usually a pewter/brassy color. The are kept on the back side by a single hole in the grip with a flared out type rivet type retainer.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'd definitely say refinished with a polished or replaced hammer. I have little knowledge of non-stock Colt stocks, but I'd wager that they are not original to the gun; if the gun needed to be refinished I would think that the original grips would not be as pristine as these appear to be. A nice looking SAA, but not worth anywhere near the low end of the price spectrum the owner was given.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Too many variables at this point to really assess the value.The Letter will tell you a bit(most importantly the original configuration in which it left the Factory as well as actual date), but not the whole story.If the gun is refinished or not matching #'s, doesn't letter, etc., worth probably $1500-?, depending on condition.If it is all original has not been messed with in any way, letters,grips are original to the gun and it really is a 1st gen, factory display case, etc, then it could easily be a $5K+ gun.The overall finish just looks too good to me at this point for it to be original, but I am just guessing. The case hardening also just looks too good to be that old...case colors fade with time and this Colt looks like Turnbull just did it yesterday! However, if you notice the difference in case colors and finish from the left side with the right side, the right side looks demonstrably better..reason probably is that the gun was stored in the display case left side down, which always results in the 'up-side' looking better than the 'down-side'Just not enough info to really appraise the value yet.
I think the difference in the case color from one side to the other is just the result of the camera flash. Note that the light in the second photo is much brighter. It's only a hunch, but I think the gun was refinished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.