Colt Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That is a gun that needs no explaining! It is an honest period engraved gun with papers to back it up. It does not get much better. The work is not the best but it correct for it's source and time. I have seen members go crazy over 1930s factory engraved gun that can hold a candle to this one. Only thing not to like is the buggered screws. If I were to find a better set that matched I would replace them. They are not an indication of history, use, or carry but of a ham fisted guy with a poor screwdriver.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks. Where would I find true replacement screws if I wanted to replace them?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The same place as the rest of us, The screw fairy. Original screws are very hard to find. Replacement screws are out there but they would stand out like a sore thumb. Most of us have a box full of old parts we scrounge from. I once bought a complete rifle just to get the extractor. It is the really bad ones that stand out. Some deformation is expected on a genuine used gun. Matching the patina is the hard part.

·
Premium Member
21,028 Posts
I probably have over 50-70 screws for the hammer, bolt and trigger (frame screws). Most came out of older SAA's that were well worn. In other words, the screws were heavily abused. As Mikebiker said, "A box full of old parts."

·
Registered
214 Posts
my 1888 H&G engraved SAA. Gotta appreciate any old Colt that someone carried enough to wear out the engraving, replate it, and then carry carry it even more to wear out it again. i don't mind the amature engraving. what did you expect for $1.50 worth of engraving?
Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel Font
Material property Font Revolver Nickel Rectangle
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Font
Dress Artifact Material property Jewellery Font
Liquid Pen Writing implement Office supplies Vision care
Rectangle Handwriting Wood Material property Font
Revolver Automotive lighting Metal Gun accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Nice gun. I never mind buggered screws because that means it was being carried/shot and has a story. I definitely concur that it was engraved by an apprentice level engraver. One with obvious talent but still new.

The box of ammo itself will go $300-$500
I paid 375 for an identical box at the colt show. Probably 25 too much.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
XQSME some parts of that gun look to crisp to be renickeled. Other parts mostly the frame look quite worn. I have a couple of " New York Nickel" " guns that have what we would consider to be poor polishing. I have another gun that Colt says was shipped blued that is nickeled and it looks factory to me. I would like to see more period renickeled guns in order to learn the actual quality of the work at the time.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I waited some time to chime in, but when I originally saw this revolver, I immediately thought “New York” engraved. The letter tells me that it was done at Hartley & Graham, having shipped soft. Again, it looks nice from afar, but detailed analysis, as others already stated, suggests amateur or semi professional work, hardly the skills of a true master engraver. If I had to guess, one of the typical “New York” engravers active during this time frame performed the work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
XQSME some parts of that gun look to crisp to be renickeled. Other parts mostly the frame look quite worn. I have a couple of " New York Nickel" " guns that have what we would consider to be poor polishing. I have another gun that Colt says was shipped blued that is nickeled and it looks factory to me. I would like to see more period renickeled guns in order to learn the actual quality of the work at the time.
I was under the impression that "Hartley and Graham was a shipping address for soft guns sent to Nimschke for engraving". Just by the volume of engraved Colts from this time period, there would have been a heck of a busy engraver at Colt.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
H&G engraved guns range from beautiful heavy coverage Teddy Roosevelt Colt SAA's down to "Mickey Mouse" quality engraving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Even an amateur can make a great looking revolver. This has become one of my treasures in my collection of vintage guns. It's in such great shape with wonderful function and original can't get much better!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Even an amateur can make a great looking revolver. This has become one of my treasures in my collection of vintage guns. It's in such great shape with wonderful function and original can't get much better!
And that's what's important my friend. All of our opinions combined and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee. But if you like it, that's what matters.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks! I have learned a lot about my Colt from this forum and appreciate all the comments. I would have loved it to have been engraved by Nimschke but I love it none-the-less!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts