Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Gents and ladies,
I'm tapped out for gun funding for now. Here's a link to what appears to be a very clean pre war D.S. on Gunbroker. No signs of refinish, etc. Everything looks correct but the seller doesn't list the serial number, so that's something you will want to know. You also might want to check to see if the stocks are numbered to the gun and original.
I have no ties to the seller. He's offering a 3 day inspection/return.

The starting bid is too high for my taste and my checking acount. In fact, I think it's too high, period. But it looks very good and I thought some of you folks might be interested in taking a look. Good luck, Colt fanatics!

Colt Detective Special PRE-WAR 38 Spl square butt : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Premium Member
I picked up a 380 Pocketlite (2012) this afternoon at the LGS so I'm short on the full amount for that pre-war . If I would have spotted big foot standing next to the pistol cases I probably would have been surprised about the same amount as to see the pocketlite.. first one I've seen other than gunbroker.
Anyway, I have dealt with MIchi-gun before on Gunbroker with a Cooper rifle purchase and had no issues, good transaction. That was some years ago so I was surprised a little to see he doesn't have a tremendous amount of feedback for a dealer, but maybe the price of Cooper rifles keep the sales low. Those rascals are not the bargain with rebates that some rifles are

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a Cobra misrepresented from my "friends" in Dallas who were selling that rebarreled 1950 Police Positive Special square butt last year as a rare D.S.

These guys are pathetic. I guess they can't tell the difference between a 1968 Cobra and a 1953 one. There are so many differences I didn't need the serial number to see it's most definitely not a 1953. Caveat emptor!
I must be in a masochistic mood because I sent them a brief message telling them it's a 1968. I can't wait for their reply :p

Colt Cobra .38, Mfg. 1953, Excellent Condition! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Registered
Picture #17 shows the rampant colt all scratched up, hard to say how bad it really is there. otherwise very nice.

Registered
Malysh, That does look like a beauty. Just what Ive been looking for to round out my little DS "collection". I havebeen looking for a square butt vintage for a few years now. But since I never paid more than $475 for a DS, Im having ahard time finding one like that to buy. When i find one for say under $600, Ill probably get it. Over a grand just seems well........

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
To me, an excellent condition pre war square butt D.S. without the original box is roughly a $900 gun. I'm not saying that's the Blue Book price or what a Colt expert would say, it's just my opinion.

After seeing the prices some of these are realizing currently, I may have to reassess that estimate.

Registered
I'm shocked at how high these are going. I'm glad I snagged my '33 Squarebutt for $400 a few years back. It's not in the same condition as the two mentioned above, but what do you guys think it would fetch in todays (apparently crazy) market?

Registered
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm shocked at how high these are going. I'm glad I snagged my '33 Squarebutt for $400 a few years back. It's not in the same condition as the two mentioned above, but what do you guys think it would fetch in todays (apparently crazy) market?

Probably about the $800-$900 figure I felt the others discussed in this thread were worth. I think J Fugate was right when he said they are getting higher prices than they were a few years back.

Most of you have seen this one, the 1941/1944 Army Intel. one I got for around the same price you paid. Even though it's condition is less than any other in this thread, because of it's provenance, it's worth a lot more than I paid, and should be worth more than the ones being discussed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Colonel, that gun is very attractive, but it is a puzzle to me.
Although the nickel finish is very well done, I don't see how the nickel could be factory original from 1929, which the seller claims is the year of mfg. The only area on the gun's surface that should be matte is the top of the frame along the sides of the rear sight trough. I can't tell whether the sides of the rear sight trough have the requisite perpendicular notches or serrations that are found in 1927 and later.
Notice the entire frame along the flats and exposed grip frame (not the sides of the frame) and the cylinder flutes are matte also. This denotes a dual tone post war finish used from 1946/47 - 1954. Colt used the dual tone finish on blued and nickeled revolvers in this period. A Colt factory pre war nickel finish would not have matte dual tone cylinder flutes and frame, excepting the frame top strap.

The finish is so good I think maybe it was sent back to the factory during that era and was refinished there. The stags are also very attractive. Perhaps they are factory? I surely don't know. R.L. Wilson consistantly states in his book when describing various models, that among factory custom stocks, stags were the fewest made.

Another anomaly is the smooth face trigger. In 1927 Colt was phasing in the checkered trigger face. The seller claims the gun was made in 1929. I wish he'd provide the serial number. It's possible Colt assembled the gun in 1929 with a smooth trigger either to use up the older style part or by assembler's error missing the checkering on the face, but I doubt we'll ever know. For example, I have a 1953 Cobra which does not have the perpendicular notches or serrations on either side of the matte (dual tone) frame top strap. This omission was an error at the factory.

This gun should be lettered by the buyer. Hopefully the buyer will be a member here and can fill us in.

Registered
Well twaits, from your question of what will it fetch: Based upon your pics and the other guys pics of his square butt, I'd say yours should bring at least $1200 OR 3 times the price of what you paid. Not bad huh? You just need to find someone who wants it that bad,that is if you really want to sell it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts