Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
You might ask for a photo of the box end label. He initially listed the gun as Stainless. I emailed him the facts on his gun, that it was E-Nickel and not Stainless based on the nickel front sight pins, serial number... He was gracious and cancelled the auction, re-listing as the E-Nickel. And then it hit me: If he had the box, the label would have told him what it was. Or wouldn't his father told him sometime during the past 30 years? Story doesn't hold water. I'm passing on this one and I need a 2.5" E-Nickel to complete the set. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me to pass.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Just like sandpaper...The way it ought to be! Just Beautiful. Why Why Why didn't I bid more :-(

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, we ALL think that for sure!! It's just that the one on GB now looks much smoother and what I thought E-Nickel was suppose to look like, I didn't know that the rough finish was correct for E-Nickel as well. So was there some fluctuation in what the final finish looked like, if these both are E-Nickel guns? Learned another thing today, thanks!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Na I wasn't alive when most of these were made so that wouldn't be possible!

The E Nickel finish does vary quite a bit from time period to time period. Now a days the finish that Colt applies is VERY course and dark grey. They went through many transitions but I do not know the technical aspect as to why. Perhaps Dfarriswheel can shed some light on it.

·
Banned
354 Posts
This is what the seller told me about this weapon last week:

"The label is missing from the other side, must have fell off. The attached is the documentation I have regarding the item [factory paperwork]. Like I said my father had this in his bedside table for YEARS !!!! He purchased it brand new."

I then asked if he would be willing to letter it and did not receive a response. I guess there was some great value to this bedside table.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Marc, now I'm confused I was under the impression that E-Nickel was the same think as Royal Coltguard on a Python, but that gun you missed out on from John does not look like Royal Coltguard on my Python it is 2 tone

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think the majority of 4, 6, and 8" E-Nickel guns had the black rubber grips. I have seen very few 2.5" E-Nickel Pythons. Of those about half had service grips. Not sure if a letter would show the grip type.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Marc, now I'm confused I was under the impression that E-Nickel was the same think as Royal Coltguard on a Python, but that gun you missed out on from John does not look like Royal Coltguard on my Python it is 2 tone
Coltguard and E Nickel are the same. 2 different names for same process.

I have never seen a two tone E Nickel.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what I read and I can't recall where now. I read that E-nickel and Coltguard is the same thing like Marc just said, but that Royal Coltguard was the rough darker bead blasted looking finish. Any truth, has anyone else heard or read this?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.