Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
The box shows 2 1/2 inch barrel length. I saw no mention of a 3 inch barrel. The Nutmeg stocks are fantastic.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I see a number of things out of chronology with this Python. The only Pythons with red insert front sights, in this serial number range, were Colt Custom Shop issued models. These K prefix Custom Shop Pythons, were the first to be so fitted and are not seen very often. All that I own, and I have seen, were identified with the a yellow Custom Shop label on a wood grain style box. Notice that there is no photo of the rear sight, which should be a white outline style, if factory issued. I would guess it is not white outline. If anyone happens to have a K prefix serial numbered Python, in this range, with factory red insert, white outline sights, that is not a Custom Shop gun, it would be very informative to learn about it. I have never seen one.

The red safety disc was not used by Colt for about another 10 years or more.

I know there are some E-Nickel experts here that could tell us what they think about the finish. I am curious is they think this is possibly a refinished Python.

Lastly, I learn a lot by reviewing a seller's current and completed auctions. Anyone seriously interested in paying a substantial premium for a superposed "Factory" original Python should consider doing so.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, when I originally posted the thread, I had just received a notification from GB of a 3" python. Either I was undercaffeinated, or something changed because my search was set up to only report those terms in the listing title. Regardless, the discussion here is good information.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
FWIW, when I originally posted the thread, I had just received a notification from GB of a 3" python. Either I was undercaffeinated, or something changed because my search was set up to only report those terms in the listing title. Regardless, the discussion here is good information.
I agree and hope we hear from some members that are E-Nickel Savvy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
To help, I have a K7.... series coltguard with a red front ramp and a white outline rear. The label is one of the hand filled out type and is original.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No its the light tan with the colt logo in the upper right left corner with all the info hand written. Not the yellow custom shop style with the typed info.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
No its the light tan with the colt logo in the upper right left corner with all the info hand written. Not the yellow custom shop style with the typed info.
The first red insert front sight / white outline rear sight that I own, or have seen were Custom Shop Models as shown in the two photos, below (one is mine). Colt Forum discussions about when Colt first introduced these sights on the Python are numerous and informative. The earliest Pythons fitted with these sights have been found to be the Custom Shop models in 1981 and 1982. I am not aware of a known original, standard production Python in the K7xxxx (1982) serial number range, so fitted. By "known original" I mean, without the possibility that the sights were fitted after-market. I find it curious and helpful that your serial number, if I am interpreting it correctly, is situated between the two Custom Shop Pythons, below.

Because the information you have provided, runs contrary to years of shared knowledge on this subject, it would be very helpful if you could please further this discussion by showing us a photo of the label, and telling us how you can be certain that it is an original, 1982, standard production Python with red insert / white outline sights. I am not suggesting that it is not, as there is no way for me to know. I am merely hoping to see additional information about the possible existence of a standard production Python that may be unique and possibly the earliest of its kind. Otherwise this thread may lead to misunderstanding and confusion for those searching for information about the subject of Python sights.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Okay, I showed mine before. What is the differance between E nickle and just plain nickle? Mine is like a mirror. Mine is from about 1971. I bought it new back then. My label is standard. I have maybe two or three boxs through mine. Like those grips too. That gun aint a 3", it`s a 2 1/2" like mine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It still says 3 in the "barrel length" column on the ad, but not in the contents... 2 1/2...
of course, the 3 inch is what is the hottest python of them all right now so thats probably why he left it that way .

oh geez louise STARTING AT 12.900.00! WOW this is nuts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Text Wallet Material property Font Label Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Sorry, I don't know the history of the gun, it's a little used and as I purchased it. Also has the white outline rear site. I don't know if it originally came with these sites.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
View attachment 43615 View attachment 43616

Sorry, I don't know the history of the gun, it's a little used and as I purchased it. Also has the white outline rear site. I don't know if it originally came with these sites.
dws442, thank you for taking the time to share these photos of your Python and Python Box Label. Your Python is a mysterious one for sure.

This Python label is an original, authentic, "K" prefix Python label from 1980 or 1982. For clarification can you confirm your Serial Number is K78XX; that is "K" prefix followed by 4 numbers. This style of Python Label suggests this serial number range and a production year of 1980. However, if it is a "K" prefix followed by 5 numbers, then the Python is from 1982, and is very likely an early standard production ColtGuard finished Python with standard production red insert / white outline sights.

I have some information that I would like to share about your Python but first I would need a production year.

Thanks again dws442!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts