Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I paid more than I should have. Went against all my principals, but it's one I had to have. It has two defects making it more 97-98% in my opinion, but it is definitely unfired. A small spot above the "3" in the .357 roll mark. And the drill spot on the cylinder notch (pic 4) is obviously a manufacturing defect. Looks like someone had the drill bit just a little off center. Colt was pretty much on top of their quality game around this time of manufacture, and I have to wonder if this one was thrown in with the lot at maybe no charge or lesser cost because of the defects. Whatever the case may be, I just couldn't pass it up because, frankly, I NEVER see these. This is the first one to come along in any kind of half decent shape, and I had to have it. Forget the price. Just let me know what you think of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A beautiful example!!!! I agree,forget the price! Looks like it had NO options,as it has the service stocks and regular hammer-so your theory about a "contract" maybe right on!

Thankfully,it never spent much, if any, time in a holster to wear that lovely nickle!

Wish the nickle on my Florida Highway Patrol 5" Trooper was that nice!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lonewolf. I had a tough time with this decision, but you already helped me feel better about it. We dickered for about a week and I got the price down a little. There's been a few posts about these. I think Robba's has the blue front sight, and no one is exactly certain what was actually issued fron the factory. Even with the couple of defects, I feel pretty certain this is straght from the factory as is.

Has a box too:

Strange how the "nickel" is taped on. Again, maybe a special production run they didn't actually make boxes for and modified them for shipment. Just speculation.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i agree a very nice gun, you will look long and hard to find a better example. who cares what it cost, it will bring a higher return than money in the bank anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
manderson, it looks like a wonderful piece. Appears as though the grinder doing the "lead-in" to the locking notch went a little too far and made that nick. Shouldn't detract from value or anything. I would love to own such a fine example.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Fine example ! Good pics too . Thanks for sharing /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Absolutely beautiful. Wish my old worn example looked half as good. Nice pix too.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Those little marks are not defects. Factory tool marks are part of the guns original finish. As old as that gun is, it's allowed a couple of bumps. I would call it unfired.

Great find! We all grouse about the ones we feel we paid to much for, but try all the auction sites over the next few months, and see if you can find another one in that condition. Scarce as hens teeth.

My rear sight is blued, the front sight has a little black paint on it.

We both need to get letters on these revolvers.

Bob

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was seriously thinking about the letter for this. Serial number is 2949x which is 1961 according to the proofhouse web site. I'd like to have it lettered just to solve the mystery of how they came to be, i.e. were they definitely a special order and for who, and how many were actually made?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
According to Wilsons dates of manufacture, "357" Models ended circa serial#28,000,or 1961 as you said.

Yours may well ahve been what we have often called "parts clean up guns",guns properly assembled and sold AFTER the model has been official discontinued in the catalog.

This might explain the "NICKLE" tag on the box(but I have seen many of these overstamps etc.

Colt,as well as other gun manufacturers hated to have spare parts in inventory,and as long as there were enough to make a block of complete guns,they weren't taking space in the parts room. The "commercial 1917" and about 1000 other New services assebled in the earlu 30's and sold below what "new models" were going for is a prime example. There were, and are today,special "incentive pricing" to distributors,for a special run of parts cleanup and discontiued /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif guns.

This is NOT going to be explained in a factory letter,and besides the price(3X that of S&W letter!!) the newer letters tend to leave,or :not specified" too many vital details.

Out of curiosity,is the serial# or any part of it,"written" on the back of the stocks???

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity,is the serial# or any part of it,"written" on the back of the stocks???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to check that when I pick it up. It's at my FFL's now waiting on the paperwork.

A little disappointing to think it's a throw together from old parts and not from a real production run. However, this would even more explain the defects on an unfired piece.

My blue .357 has what looks like "6765" hand written on the inside of the service stocks, and the gun is s/n 23675. Maybe these are not original from when it was shipped from the factory.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I love the 4" 357 Trooper model in general. It's on my top five list for wanted to buy. I really like it in nickle. That one you just purchased is beautiful. Thanks for showing us it.

Dave

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks Bud for the SN# info. Our 6" blued is 16,0XX, and our 4" Nickel is 22,7XX.

We are going to get a letter, but everytime I think about it, the length of time to get the letter nags me. Still need to do it.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
In looking at this beautiful "357," I am reminded of the long discussion a while back of whether factory nickel "357" revolvers have nickel sights, and whether those with blue sights are really factory nickel, or aftermarket nickel.

Here is a VERY late nickel "357" and it has nickel sights, as does my much earlier factory (lettered) nickel "357." To me, that again reinforces the position that factory nickel "357" revolvers have nickel sights, and those with blue sights are probably not factory nickel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts