Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday an old friend asked me to look at some handguns he wanted to dispose of. The one I liked best was a 5" nickel Army Special SN 5453xx which pretty much puts it at the end of the run. There is an N stamped under the SN. Does that indicate nickel? Checkered wood grips w/ silver medallions. Timing and lockup is perfect and after wiping the schmutz off the exterior and cleaning 30 year old burnt powder from the bore and chambers, it's gorgeous! It's at least excellent. I already have more OPs than I need and have never looked at Army Specials, so, what are folks paying for something like this?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi Nitro. The Army Special you described is one of the later produced. So the wood stocks with the silver medallions are probably correct.

I don't think the N under the S/N means nickel. I believe it is just some sort of inspection mark. I have never seen an Army Special in nickel. You may want to check under the left hand stock and see if there is an N on the frame. If so, I'd feel better about it being an original nickel gun.

Buy it because you like it, not because you think it may be something special. That way if it turns out to be a re-nickel, you won't be disappointed.

BTW, today I passed up on a late run 5" Army Special for $350. Great shape, but I felt $50 too high for the condition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts