Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
No. Something the jag might pick up could possibly scratch the bore, but the barrel steel is almost twice as hard as the nickel. They make steel bore brushes for badly corroded bores, but the steel is a very mild variety.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Keeping in mind that every time you fire your pistol [assuming it is .45 ACP], you are burning powder that reaches 3100 to 3300 degrees [F] and driving a copper alloy slug from 0 to 580 mph within 5 inches. You have more wear from erosion than from cleaning. Cleaning wear is overblown in modern firearms.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,613 Posts
As above, a brass jag, plated or not won't harm the bore.
Brass jags have been used since firearms were invented.

Use a stainless steel or carbon fiber cleaning rod.
This is counterintuitive..... you'd think that an aluminum or brass rod would be safer but the truth is these soft metals will allow grit to embed into the rod and can scratch or wear gun barrels and the delicate muzzle.
Hard stainless or carbon fiber rods are better.
Some people use coated rods but they seem to be falling out of favor because the coating isn't very durable and tends to come off, requiring that you buy a new rod.
Buy a good Dewey or Pro Shot stainless steel rod and it's the last time you'll ever have to buy one.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I guess I am just too old fashioned, I use an original GI rod that I had left over from Vietnam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts