Colt Forum banner
121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Just thought some members may enjoy seeing how nice nickel and pearl look. Maybe members can add to this thread. Show us what you have.

FACTORY LETTER NOTES 38/C, 3-1/2", NICKEL, SNL, SHIPPED TO THE HENRY SEARS COMPANY, CHICAGO, IL ON 7-20-1892, 2 GUNS. HENRY SEARS & COMPANY, MFRS & IMPORTERS OF CUTLERY, FIREARMS, & BICYCLES, WAS LOCATED IN CHICAGO 1872 TO 1896.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
I just picked up this 1926 Police Positive Special and, while the grips look correct sans medallions, and they fit very well, I don't know if it is worth ordering a Colt Archive Letter to confirm the grips. I have no doubt that the finish is original. Thoughts?

View attachment 714481

View attachment 714483
Larger pics and a view of the butt of these grips would be helpful in determining if they could be Colt grips.

Reactions: OD*

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
If the pearls fit perfectly everywhere, and are not thin in the butt view (includes SN), then they could be Colt grips. The screw escutcheon appears to be properly placed. So if they fit perfectly, it might be a good idea to request a factory letter. Even if a letter doesn't confirm the pearl grips, the destination may be interesting in itself. The gun's superb condition, with nearly 100% nickel, also would justify a letter.

Reactions: Jackson

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts

1965 Colt Official Police (bought recently) wearing my inherited great grandpa and former 1950's police chief's MOP's. Some things just have a way of working out eventually. He carried a 4" Nickel OP according to pictures I have on hand. Nobody in the family can seem to find the gun....so I found another one!!! It wears them well. A beautiful combination in person and this picture does it NO JUSTICE!

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Chad45: I have seldom seen Carving with the highlighted shading on MOP your LH grip (last picture). Great job of making the carving really stand out; Sometimes Ivory Carved grips get done that way. It looks the carving had some help from a coloring agent by the grip maker. Beautiful, Jackson

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Look at it this way, if they were so fragile they'd break shooting, there wouldn't be any whole ones left on moderately worn guns.

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
Beautiful guns! I just wish MOP wasnt so fragile. I am scared to shoot mine with them on.
And I think that is why we see so many factory Pearl chipped where they meet the rear of frame. And it is usually seen on larger calibers, not 32-20's.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts