Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a blued screw and escutcheons be "incorrect" on a mid '70's Nickel Diamondback target stocks?
I've seen them with both blued and nickel hardware. Not sure if they came both ways or if just the nickel hardware was the correct hardware.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I assume the same applies to silver or gold medallions also? Both were used?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Why? Seems a shortcut, a parts run-out, or just laziness.

My 1980 nickel Colt Python had nickel grip screws. I would expect no less with Colt DB's in nickel.....

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Why? Seems a shortcut, a parts run-out, or just laziness.

My 1980 nickel Colt Python had nickel grip screws. I would expect no less with Colt DB's in nickel.....
Most nickel Pythons with 3rd gen stocks had a blue screw and escutcheon. I've only seen a few Python 3rd gens with nickel screw/escutcheon but more on the 2nd gen stocks.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
This 1978 DB in 38 Spcl is set up with gold medallions and blue screw. FWIW

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Hey.
It's Colt.
Sometimes they do things just to be.....who knows what?.......cheap?
Sometimes, when you have seen one Colt, you have seen one Colt.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
This 1978 DB in 38 Spcl is set up with gold medallions and blue screw. FWIW

Thanks for showing this 1978 DB. It's a good example that shows Colt still used the nickel rear accro sight as late as '78 with the fixed front sight nickel DBs to keep them matching. The rest of the guns lost nickel rear accros in '71.

As far as the medallions go, mid '70s is when gold began on other models beside the Python. My '77 is gold medallion.

With the grip hardware, I generally stick with the nickel hardware on nickel guns prior to the 3rd gen Python grips change. After the 3rd gens came out, nickel hardware with nickel guns faded away. I'm sure as always there are exceptions, but 3rd gens with nickel hardware is probably the oddity more than a norm. I'm also not sure the extent that other models beside the Python got nickel hardware, but if they did, I'm sure it was along the same time line the Pythons were getting them.

Reactions: mafd2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts