Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had no intention of buying a gun yesterday but I stopped into Cabelas to witness the madness and to see my friend Chris who works in the gun library. He just got a bunch of interesting guns in and I saw this. I've always wanted a nickel/pearl vest pocket. They are pretty uncommon and this one was in very presentable condition. Not perfect but it cleaned up really nice and has a great bore. The first pic was in the Cabelas parking lot. The next two were after clean up. Now hopefully the world doesn't collapse so I can enjoy it for a few years. This one was made in 1926.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Excellent acquisition especially in nickel w/ pearls. I’m away from my sources, can someone give me approx production numbers in nickel and also numbers w/ pearls?
Eric, what do the back of the pearls look like? Seems to my memory, the model M’s has a red backing w/ brass attachments but I don’t remember the about the Model N’s.
IMHO the average everyday blued N’s are undervalued and under appreciated.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent acquisition especially in nickel w/ pearls. I’m away from my sources, can someone give me approx production numbers in nickel and also numbers w/ pearls?
Eric, what do the back of the pearls look like? Seems to my memory, the model M’s has a red backing w/ brass attachments but I don’t remember the about the Model N’s.
IMHO the average everyday blued N’s are undervalued and under appreciated.
Here's what they look like. Not sure if they are original or not. I'd really have to letter it to see how it left the factory. The finish looks original to me. Of course if it didn't I wouldn't have bought it. But that's always a gamble unless a letter comes with the gun. I may letter this at some point.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sam Lisker's site shows 6 types of mother of pearl grips for 1908s but does not show square top without medallions. So unless Sam forgot to list them perhaps these aren't original to the gun? Tim's are the same as mine. Is yours lettered Tim?

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is funny. I just looked up my gun on the Cabelas site since they haven't taken it down yet. Note that the pics are terrible and the grip description is "plastic grips good condition" Anybody who thinks real mother of pearl is plastic should not be working in collectible guns. Anyway, my friend Chris at Cabelas (who actually knows his sh*t) gave me $100 off so I got it for $699

Now look at this one. The other nickel 1908 that is listed. Looks like someone scratched something into the finish on the right side unless this is some kind of foreign inscription done at the factory. But it looks awful to me when you zoom in on it. This one says "faux pearl grip panels" but who knows if that is accurate or not. but look at the price. Twice as much as the one I just bought. Unless the engraving on the side is rare I don't know why this is so expensive.

It does come with this soft case and manual. Is that something Colt offered on special order?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Beautiful Vest pocket! They look even better in Nickel/Pearl. I cant help but wonder who the original owner was.
Were they male or female what they did for a living? It's fun to think about. It's funny how when you go into a store with no intention on buying you find something you can't leave without. Great find!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo but that non-factory stamping looks like it may be Thai. A letter may prove interesting but I don't know that I would want to be into it for $1600 by the time you paid tax and a letter cost. Now if you could pick up that one for under $600 it would be a different story.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Based on the late serial number, my guess is that factory original grips, if they were pearl, should be one of the last two as pictured on Sam Lisker's website but the overall package as pictured is very sharp.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Sam Lisker's site shows 6 types of mother of pearl grips for 1908s but does not show square top without medallions. So unless Sam forgot to list them perhaps these aren't original to the gun? Tim's are the same as mine. Is yours lettered Tim?

Erik,

Congrats on your latest acquisition -- a very nice 1908 Vest Pocket indeed. The stocks on your gun are aftermarket, which was not uncommon. Aftermarket stocks were a great option for buyers who didn't want to pay a premium for stocks of the same material with Colt medallions.

Sam

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice one ya got there. And great information in this thread.
I'm due for a little ride to Cabelas. Last I was there they had a couple of Detective Specials and a Cobra or 2. I recall seeing a 1903 for about $1200 a few months back. A little steep for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts