Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help on this SAA. I have a guy who inherited his dads Colt. SN dates it to 1907. It is a 41 long colt caliber and is 7 1/2 inch barrel. Unfortunately, the person his dad got it from back in the 1930's nickel plated the gun I think. I am not sure they came like this or not. It is a nice job, but it is what it is. The gentleman wants around $1000 for it, it still shoot, etc. How much of a drop in value does the nickel plating do to a gun like that. He wants help selling it, and I figure the first step is getting realistic values I don't know much if any about these, so if I have put some inaccuracies in my question, I apologize. Thank you in advance.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
First...Welcome to the Forum from (northern) South Texas!
Second...Yes, Colt did offer nickel SA's, but the only sure way to find out how it left the factory is with an archive letter. The grips are not original Colt grips and the gun may be a post-factory nickel job but it looks like they did a good job and not over buffed.
The real experts will be along shortly.

Colt Archive Properties, LLC - Home (coltarchives.com)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First...Welcome to the Forum from (northern) South Texas!
Second...Yes, Colt did offer nickel SA's, but the only sure way to find out how it left the factory is with an archive letter. The grips are not original Colt grips and the gun may be a post-factory nickel job but it looks like they did a good job and not over buffed.
The real experts will be along shortly.

Colt Archive Properties, LLC - Home (coltarchives.com)
Thank you for the reply. The guy did say that the grips were replaced long ago and were not original. This one was nickeled, don't you think, after the fact? It doesn't look original, does it? I thought it looked really nice, but wasn't sure how much the value was hurt by the nickeling.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Great gun.
Its a desirable configuration regardless of how it letters. it’s been nickeled after the time it left the factory. The good thing about nickel is it preserves the metal under it for generations.

But as these guys said a Colt Archive letter for $150 is a small price to pay to find out if it left Colt as a 7.5” 41Colt or its a “parts gun”.

I have a customer who will pay $2,000 for any 1st gen in original configuration - regardless if it was refinished. So someone out there thinks it’s worth that.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
To answer your last question; If it letters as a 7.5” 41 Colt in condition prior to the nickel it would bring about $4,500 in today’s market.
Original condition, even with slight pitting and dents to the bottom of the grip frame still brings the highest dollar.
However, Once its been refinished like it was, you can cut that price in half.
Things are only original...once.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum form West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here. Very nice Colt SAA. Thanks for sharing it with us all.

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
There is a tiny "8" stamped as clear as day on the left front trigger guard bow, just under the frame. The circle around the rampant colt stamp on the frame is crisp and clear. Maybe it isn't refinished. I had a nickel Police Positive, and the photos suggested the sideplate/frame seams were soft. When the gun arrived, the seams were sharp and tight.

Bruv, how do the edges at the frame/trigger guard/backstrap seams look on this gun? Do they appear worn or are they sharp and tight?

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Hopalong In a diagnosis like this, I generally hope I’m wrong.

There seems to be a light pitting under the nickel throughout the gun.
Typically, factory nickeled guns will show a flaking at the sharp edges...somewhere. A re-nickeled or out-of-factory nickel job won’t show that for this era SAA.
The broken edge of the rear frame looks like the frame was diligently re-surfaced but got a little heavy handed here in the circle.
The bottom of the grip clearly shows nickel over damaged metal.

That’s how I came up with my opinion.

As always, I’m open to being corrected.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Here are some photos from another forum for a comparison. (If this M1877 belongs to someone here, I apologize.) This M1877 is a heavily buffed gun. You can see the wire wheel marks in the patent date area. The edges are almost beveled they have been buffed so hard. In comparing the two, the OP's 1873 looks great.
IMG_7409.thumb.jpg.97d58d457f11e1fa0182c5b0f1f3f985.jpg
IMG_7408.thumb.jpg.c065c6b491b6277cf83da9a9747373c9.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can try to get some better shots and post them tomorrow to answer the questions. Thank you so much for the help and information.
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
Like others have said, it’s well worth the price. The lettering is still very good. If it were mine, original black hard rubber stocks would be what I would use. Many would call that gun a good shooter and a few of us like 41 colt, but if you don’t like the caliber, it’s a good gun for trading.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts