Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if any of the knowledgeable folks out in Colt land knows, but in McDowell's book on Colt conversions, he states that ALL 1860 Navy Richards-Mason conversions were blued at the factory. I have seen at least one on the internet that claims to be originally nickel plated and I own one that appears to have traces of nickle. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
well i am not an expert but during the percussion years up till about 1920 colt would build just about any thing you could afford. there were no gun laws and people wrote directly to the factory and placed orders for any thing they desired. in wilsons book "colt an american legend" a few original letters are shown including one from w.b. masterson as follows: "gents,you will please make and send here to my address c.o.d. one of your short .45 cal pistols nickle plated. make it very easy on the trigger and make front site extra high and thick.send as soon as possible" letter has a notation of shipment at bottom. must have been pretty nice back then. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi drbuster,
I checked my copy of Bruce's book but could not find any reference to a "1860 NAVY conversion". He talks about the 1860 ARMY Model and the 1861 NAVY Model, but no "1860 NAVY Model" that I could find. Can you give me a page reference????)

Bruce does say on Page 200 that "... the 1860 Richards-Mason conversions are found finished in both full nickel plating and blue with case hardened frames and hammers." I have seen many 1860 ARMY Models with nickel finishes... FYI. Bob Best

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear icdux1, appreciate your comments. Also Bob Best, thanks for your reply. I read from the table on page 253 of McDowell's Colt Conversions, where it is stated that the finish on "OMC" conversions is deep dark reddish blue and on Navy-Navy conversions, thin gray blue. I guess a few nickel plated specimens could have sneaked through.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi drbuster,
The table on page 253 of Bruce's book deals with the Model 1861 Navy Colt... this is an entirely different model than the Model 1860 revolver...

The factory did produce nickel plated and other finished examples of the civilian Model 1861 Navy revolver. Go back to page 250 and you will find that Bruce says that Colt produced them. I had s/n 345 which was a factory nickel finish .38 rimfire. The majority of the Model 1861 civilian Navies were blued but there are factory guns with Nickel and other finishes.

I believe that Bruce is using the table on page 253 to compare the various features of the civilian model conversions to the US Navy contract model conversions. (The Navy-Navy vs the OMC conversions) The US Navy used the cartridge conversion Model 1861 Navy, along with the Model 1851 cartridge conversion revolvers until they purchased 5000 Colt's New Navy DA Model revolvers in 1889.

Bob Best

1 - 6 of 6 Posts