Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I did a diligent search for info on this but did not find anything that fit.

Last week while on vacation we found a beautiful 6" nickel Python that had been fired very little. It does have some black circles around the fronts of the cylinders. Can any of you tell me what will clean these marks off without harming the nickel finish?? I know about Hoppes being a no no.

One suggestion prior to this was using a pencil eraser. Another was Flitz. I have Flitz, but have not used it yet.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Bob

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I use Flitz on a Q tip for that area. Mother's Mag Polish is also recommended on the forum. Some feel Flitz is slightly more abrasive and that's not bad for that area. I think the most recent polishing posts were wrt bright stainless Pythons.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
Nickel is a little touchy, due to the fact that it's not all that durable a finish.

The front face of the cylinder is especially touchy because firing the gun literally blasts the nickel loose and it's normal to see missing chips of plating there.

One method that seems to work without harm is the "lead-Away" type cloth sold in gun shops.
This heavy, waxy-feeling yellow cloth quickly strips carbon and lead off, and doesn't seem to harm nickel.
It WILL quickly remove bluing, so use ONLY on stainless or plated guns.

Another method people report to have good luck with is one of the carbon-cutter liquids also sold specifically for use on guns.

Here's an example:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20426

I just saw a recommendation for another product, and if I can find it, I'll post it here.

You want to be VERY careful about using anything that's abrasive since it WILL abrade and thin the nickel.
All metal polishes contain abrasives, although some are very fine. Over time, even they will degrade the plating.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Robba:

That lead away heavy yellow cloth works as good as anything I have ever used.It has never caused any damage on any kind on my nickel guns.It does not seem to be abrasive.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had some Flitz around, and tried that. It did a fine job without harming the nickel per you folks advice.

Would you believe this nickel Python sat for a year in that gun shop on the west Florida coast. They had it displayed in a custom shop box. It would not have lasted a day in one of our east Florida shops. It has the blonde stocks, and papers, no original box though. It's so pretty I don't believe we will shoot it.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
Unless you are never going to shoot the gun again, why bother to clean off the carbon? It will just get back on there the next time you shoot it. Constant polishing will eventually change the appearance of the cylinder face since nickel is soft.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt this Python has had more than 50 rounds put through it. There are no marks on the recoil shield, and the finish is 98%+. So it is going to be retired as long as we own it.

We hate to fire nickel, or alloy framed revolvers, because of the chance of nicking up the finish. There are SS Pythons to shoot, and their marks can be polished out in most cases.

Bob

·
Registered
265 Posts
robba,

Now that you have it clean, apply a coat of Renaissance Wax. It'll make that gun gleam. It may even make it easier to clean after the next shooting session.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
One minor addendum to the use of "leadaway cloth" on nickel. I suggest you flush/rinse off the cylinder after use. Then dry it to minimize any slow deterioration that MIGHT occur. Just a precaution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts