Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty decent pre series 70 in nickel. I know they are uncommon but how uncommon. I want to sell my unboxed one but don’t know what kind of premium they being over a blue one. Given a blue and nickel in similiar condition what premium do you think nickel adds. B.B. says 10% which seems way low to me. I can’t find any reference to amount “rough production %” done in nickel. I have heard both 10%, seems believable and 1% which seems too low. It’s around I think 67’ and also has a letter as does my boxed one. I hate grading but for the purpose here I will say 96-97%. Will try to get pics if needed but I seem to have a hard time with that. Any input is helpful. Even speculation just to gauge what it is close production number differences.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The percentage I have heard bruited around for years is approximately 10% Nickel guns. No idea where this number comes from. I personally think it is less that that. I would say a premiums of 25% to 30% for any .45 ACP chambered Pre-Series 70 Government model in 95% or better condition. More premium if in .38 Super When you get down below 95% or so condition Nickel guns look rougher than blued guns in similar condition.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. It’s why I dislike the grading thing especially with Nickel. No
muzzle wear or finish missing. Just a few rubs on the dull areas and the fine swirl lines/ fine scratches around muzzle. Like you get on a black automotive finish no matter how fine a wax you use you can see the slightest swirl from just a clean cloth. I can find flaws and those marks on new nickel stuff in a shop but obviously not as much as a pre 70 that was used some but well taken care of. Just trying to get a value to try and figure where to price it, seems hard being there aren’t alot of comps. Btw, if it was a super I wouldn’t sell it lol. I Would consider a trade for a nib series 70 nickel in super but I have no clue if that’s fair at this point or one person would need to add to even the deal so unless it was fair on both sides I couldn’t money wise if I was on the low end. Just trying to get a value idea.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Price wise, GI has one listed for $2900 with box. Condition as stated in ad seems similar to your Colt. Another one on GI with MOP stocks just sold for $3500.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have pearls in this one now but they are not stock. I also have one that’s nicer boxed etc. both are lettered but I am keeping the boxed one as of now. I appreciate the gi info. Do you have a link so I could look at them? I can’t seem to find anything when I looked with their searches.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have pearls in this one now but they are not stock. I also have one that’s nicer boxed etc. both are lettered but I am keeping the boxed one as of now. I appreciate the gi info. Do you have a link so I could look at them? I can’t seem to find anything when I looked with their searches.
Look on GI under Colt -1911- Series 70. Yes I know they are not Series 70 guns, but that is where they got listed.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found them. I appreciate it. The packaging on the boxed one is a little too perfect for me. It’s not quite exactly the same nickel sticker and other things and is too clean and glossy as is the papers that you can see. Not claiming one way or another but just an observation. On the last pics of it you can see the fine scratches similiar to mine but better pics would be needed in full light for me to determine but looks like that one is a little nicer overall, save my questions on packaging..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts