Colt Forum banner

Nickel Python - refinish or leave as is

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  colt03 
#1 ·
It this was your nickel Python, would you consider having it refinished or leave it as is?

See less See more
#6 ·
Leave it. I have a 1960 nickel Python that needed some love when I purchased it. The dealer had lowered the asking price and still couldn't sell it because potential buyers wanted a pristine snake. After some negotiating we agreed on a price. After some elbow grease and Flitz it looks much, much better...still not pristine and new but far better. If the retailer has put some effort into it he could have cleaned it up and realized a better price.

Try cleaning yours with Flitz and maybe it will look better.

#9 ·
I also have a nickle 2 1/2" python like yours. I cant see any big problem just looking at your picture, is the nickle cloudy or what? Unless your picture isn't showing what`s concerning you, as shown, I would leave it alone. Mine I bought new about 1971. I haven't shot over a couple boxes through it and it looks similar to your picture. I did notice some clouding on mine as it`s been just sitting in the safe for almost 50 years and I used some Flitz on it and that helped but it still didnt look as shiny as when I bought it new. Even so, a refinish would lower the sale price far more than it would bring without the refinish PLUS you would be out the price of the refinish.

#10 ·
I see what your concern is, that dark stain on the nickel. It is one of those things that if your looking for it, it will continue to bother you but in reality I don't think it's that bad and I would not refinish it as a true collector will almost always spot
a refinished gun and the gun's value after a refinish is cut virtually in half.

#11 ·
One of the very few times I will recommend using a good metal polish on a nickel gun is if there's some staining in the finish.
Polishing may or may not improve it, but the key is to use a mild polish and use it GENTLY, and don't use it any more than absolutely necessary.

Metal polishes are ALL abrasive and they all abrade off a thin layer of the nickel every time they're used. Use it too often or just rub a little too hard and you can actually polish right through the finish.
Attempting to polish out scratches requires abrasion of the nickel to a dangerous level, so scratches are forever.

If you think a metal polish might help, use a mild one like Flitz and a microfiber cloth.
Do as little as you possibly can.

#12 ·
I've learned some nickel repair techniques for tiny blemishes like this (and full nicks). It is simple, inexpensive, and even a trained eye can't spot the repair.

I suggest buying a el cheap-o suicide revolver and trying your hand at it. You might surprise yourself.

I use Caswell equipment. Try the nickel wand.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I also agree flitz works well with hand polishing. Don't try dremel-bobing with flitz. At high speeds it cuts fast. I sometimes use .5 or 1 micron diamond polish to work out blems like yours. It does not cut fast. It makes Blue or White compound seem like 40 grit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.