Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dragged this one out from the back of the safe. This is my one and only semi auto pistol bigger than a .380. A Model 39-2 Smith first sold in Alaska in 1980. It came with all paperwork and a list of previous owners. I bought it a few years ago to replace the much more modern and practical compact 3913 I gave my son when he was discharged from the Marines. These are Grashorn elk bone, not antler grips. By my standards this is a modern gun. Others who are used to Glocks, Springfields, etc. look at it like it's a flintlock.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Very nice, these guns have an interesting history. A good friend of mine as a young man owned a 39, shooting it was my first time with a 9mm.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Excelent. My first issued gun was a blued 39-2. It served me well during the decade I carried it before the department changed guns.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have a nice example in blued finish. No paper goodies but shoots great. Very reliable. Don't know a lot about these but I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
A common sense, reasonable sized autoloader. Enough rounds for whatever you need them for, a safety that could be used as a de-cocker if need be, wish I'd kept mine!

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Sunglasses in place - very nice. I had a variant, the 469. Sorry I sold it even if it was prone to stovepipe.

·
Registered
791 Posts
One of my all time favorite pistols. The elk bone grips really set it off nicely.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
One of the few 9mm pistols that I like. I've had two Model 39s. When I decided I wanted to get another I wanted one with the ambi-safety, which is hard to get nowadays, but couldn't find one. Then it dawned on me to look for a 439 and sure enough I found one with ambidextrous safety. And then I get an email from the gun club that I am a member and there was a 39-2 for sale with two extra magazines; my brother bought it and I scored some ambi-safeties off of eBay.
Here's mine:
S&W 439-2.JPG S&W 439-1.JPG

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Replied via PM. Holster is going to a new home in California.
That's not too bad of a holster. I had one, russet color, also LH, but it seemed like more of a competition holster, than a carry one. I wasn't confident in how secure the pistol was in it.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Beautiful piece!!! I had a 639 that I long ago traded away - you know the story from there......

If you ever feel the "need" to maybe return that beauty to Alaska, you know where I'm at. :cool:

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Very nice WB !!

My circa 1985 Smif...stainless steel with adjustable sights and the only set of grips I ever made...Zebrawood.

My only nickel plated Smif...circa 1976...3" Bull Barrel...like the blued one the FBI used...plated by the original owner...and carried as a NY Reload by a Philly Police Detective to his duty sidearm ...I bought it from his widow...my neighbor.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I remember shooting a 39 every time we all went to the pit to shoot. Back then there wasn't a big variety of 9mm ammo and you bought ball or lead tipped rounds. Those lead tipped ones were short and never worked well in the gun, after the first box we never bought anymore. Real fun gun to shoot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts