Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

Headed home from the gun show today and stopped at a shop I had never visited. Look in the case and see 3 nickel Colt's
1. 1979 nickel Diamondback, 4 inch
2. 1980 e-nickel Detective
3. 70's series nickel government
I know this is the revolver thread and the Government conversation shouldn't be here but it was 2:1 in favor of the revolvers. I am interested in all pieces and wanted honest opinions about what the guys are paying out there. The DS has been lettered which I saw in person. All pics were taken by me. I feel that the prices are way higher than average, but uncertain about the DS in particular. No boxes or paperwork for any. I would rate the DB 99%, possibly unfired. DS has been fired, 97-98% rating. Government minimal use, 98%.
Asking Prices:
DB- $2000
DS- $2100
Government- $1450

Thanks everybody,

J

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
The DS and the Govt. model are overpriced, especially the DS. You probably know that DS didn't come from the factory with those stocks, though they are Colt. At least the Govt. Model replacement stocks are real stag.
I cannot comment about the Diamondback. I don't know too much about them.

They all appear to be in nice condition as far as the cosmetics go.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you guys feel about $1200 on the Government? Thats the one I really want. I figure $1300-1400 for the DS and $1300 for the DB. Those weree my original thoughts on prices. I agree, the prices are high. Not sure how much he is willing to work.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don't think the stocks are original on the Detective Special. Might be a scarce variation but not worth the price. The Diamondback looks original but is priced too high. Looks good though. Too bad it doesn't have the box and papers. The Series 70 Government has an aftermarket trigger installed. The nice well matched stag stocks may add to the value and original stocks aren't hard to find. If I was going to buy one of the three I'd probably buy the .45 auto. Probably the best deal of the three. As always, JMHO.
I agree fully on those thoughts. How much does the after market trigger take from value? Never had to deal with that. All of mine have original triggers. I knew the stocks were wrong ont the DS, but just wasn't sure how much value the DS had for rarety with a letter.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I deleted my original post because others had stated most of what I had to say while I was typing. I think $1200 is probably fair for the Series 70 Government. Gotta ask yourself, however, what else was done inside besides the trigger replacement.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I deleted my original post because other had stated most of what I had to say while I was typing. I think $1200 is probably fair for the Series 70 Government. Gotta ask yourself, however, what else was done inside besides the trigger replacement.
Good thought. This game is always difficult.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Cruiser RN +2.For the money they want for all three you could buy two really nice Pythons that would hold their value or increase in value.It's apparent that you are more interested in the Gov.Model I would also be concerned about what else had been changed besides the trigger.JMO.D*

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I believe the Govt mdl has been refinished. Look closely at the corners above the trigger guard and elsewhere, seems to be some small residual pitting that wasn't polished out, and the "D" inspectors mark is partially polished away; the tops of the serial numbers are shallow. However it is a beautiful gun & I like it.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I don't know about the DB price begin too high. have you looked at the prices of blued DB's? at any rate they are too high for me. i'm now in the $500 club now because I don't want too spend big money any more. the guns in the $500 range are just as much fun too shoot and i'm not a collector.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe the Govt mdl has been refinished. Look closely at the corners above the trigger guard and elsewhere, seems to be some small residual pitting that wasn't polished out, and the "D" inspectors mark is partially polished away; the tops of the serial numbers are shallow. However it is a beautiful gun & I like it.
I had wondered about a refinish. Hard to say, but being that a number a external features have been changed, ie: trigger, grips, it wouldn't surprise me. It matters not, he is not moving on his prices so I am passing. Bought a 70's series NM over the weekend, so I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
IMHO, the Detective Special is seriously overpriced. A 100% NIB, with box and papers, ought to be around $1,000, and that one is not 100%.

I remain in shock at the price increases following Newtown.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.