Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All things being equal is a 3rd gen SAA more desirable in nickel or case hardened?

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Nickel is optional...case hardening is standard. I'd say nickel but both are desireable. Another thing is how well the color case hardening was done...some have been dull and washed out looking even when new. Some are bright and vibrant. It makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Take your pick,just get one of each if you can. Either are super nice in my book but I don’t get out too much. Pete. 😂 Fire blue frame screws from Lever Action Bill.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would have to say it really comes down to personal taste. Great points already given about the case colors are they bright or faded ? Do they have Blue in it Do you like the ones that are brighter? Maxcustody mentioned he likes the wood grips on nickel. I actually take them off and put the black eagle grips on mine. I like the contrast. Often I put bullseye ejector head on them too. I don't think you can go wrong with either finish on a real Colt SAA...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Why not do what I did. I have three 3rd gen Colt SAAs. Two are blue, one is nickel. The nickel started out as a Buntline with Ivory grips. It is now one of my fast draw guns. It just returned home a few days ago from none other than Jim Martin. Now it has a "Jim Martin Trigger"....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Had a nickel one but after the nickel started flaking off of the cylinder it soured me on nickel finish
That sure would do it for me too. I have a nickel 2nd gen that has honest holster wear on it and you can see the copper under the nickel along the barrel ( doesn't bother me at all as it tells the story of this old work horse) but if it were flaking I would be Pi$$ed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This one. I had a nickel one but after the nickel started flaking off of the cylinder it soured me on nickel finish. So I'll stick with this finish.
That sure would do it for me too. I have a nickel 2nd gen that has honest holster wear on it and you can see the copper under the nickel along the barrel ( doesn't bother me at all as it tells the story of this old work horse) but if it were flaking I would be Pi$$ed.
Is it quite common for nickel finish to flake off?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Is it quite common for nickel finish to flake off?
I’ve shot nickel Colts since the early 70s,not SAAs but the rest—— Pythons,1911s etc and never had any issues but there can be mistakes in the nickel process. I also believe S&W had a tougher/thicker nickel then Colt. You don’t have to go down too far on Colt nickel to hit the copper colored base. I’ve seen that happen from a 1911 idiot scratch. The peeling/flaking that happened on the Colts here is definitely not the norm. Pete

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
461 Posts
I’ve shot nickel Colts since the early 70s,not SAAs but the rest—— Pythons,1911s etc and never had any issues but there can be mistakes in the nickel process. I also believe S&W had a tougher/thicker nickel then Colt. You don’t have to go down too far on Colt nickel to hit the copper colored base. I’ve seen that happen from a 1911 idiot scratch. The peeling/flaking that happened on the Colts here is definitely not the norm. Pete
Thanks Pete. Good to know it is not the norm............I have an interest in the Nickel, been searching for a nice one.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Definetly a personal taste question. For me, it’s bl/cc. You can’t beat the beauty of bl/cc in any generation.
I bought this 7.5” back n February,for two reasons,1) it was available here to me locally in CA. 2) it has great CC but it’s going on waivers lol 😂 as soon as I can recoup my money,if it was 4-3/4” or 5.5” I would keep,it. I just don’t care for the longer barrel,it’s from 2015 and basically NIB( has removable bushing). Pete

1 - 20 of 36 Posts