Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this yesterday during a random visit to a gun store a few hours from home. It's a nickeled New Service in .357. Since the gun serial is from 1920, and .357 wasn't done until mid/late 30s, this is clearly a rebarrel. Nickel, best I could tell, looks original, and as expected slightly richer on the barrel than on the frame. I can go back on my way home tomorrow if I decide to pick it up. What's the collector value of a rebarreled gun like this? What dollar value would you put on it?

ns357a.jpg ns357b.jpg

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I think the ampersand mark means it could be a factory rework. That's a good sign. Factory Nickle guns are worth more than blued, if they look nice. Refinished guns not by the factory are worth far less than original blue. So the question is, what does a possible factory renickle do? What if the rework was for the barrel, then it's been refinished later? It's subjective. So I personally would not spend big dollars on it. I'd try to buy it if it was $500-600, but I'd pass if it was say $1200. The price is somewhere in the middle, right? So it's a hard question. Some might pay a lot more than me, but with a replaced barrel also, not me.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I think that's the case - chrome presents as 'white', nickel is more muted.

The ampersand indicates a trip back to the factory for 'something' - likely the barrel.

That lowers the price.

If you're wanting to add to a collection - pass on this one.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I thought it was my eyes, glad you guys verified the chrome finish. I might buy it for $500 but that would be it. Collector value is gone.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
I do not think this Finish came from Colt.

Stocks do not fit proerly either ( slightly too small or too narrow ).

It may be a good Shooter if timing and lock up and bore are all good, but, it is a re barrled, re Cylindered, and ( not Factory ) re finished Colt.

If the price is right, it could still be a fun and enjoyable one to have...but, if it was me, I'd hold out for one which has not been re finished.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
It's kind of tough to see from a photo like this if it's chrome or nickel. I'd have to see it next to a nickel gun to be sure. The lighting could be bluish for all we know making it look harsher.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I don't consider myself a expert but just another thought here: How many times have we read in factory letters as opposed to the published serial number tables that guns have left the factory YEARS after the frames were made? I dang sure have read it on a number of occasions. Now lets say when the company says, "Let`s try making a few 357`s and see how they work," old Gus go`s to a old dusty bin full of frames that have been sitting there for God knows how long and why, and fits up a 357?? It would be interesting to see what a company letter would say. Only I wouldn't want to pay for it.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I give whatever weight opinions merit, think it over, check it out myself & if it passes at a right price: buy it. I've missed a couple that might have been good buys by thinking too long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts