Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a target python in a nickle finish. The pistol is absolutely virgin...never been fired. However, I'm a shooter and that virginity will be broken saturday night at the range. My question is about the nickle finish...does it require any special cleaning or are there solvents I should stay away from? I appreciate all your input!!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
There is a danger with using bore solvents, since they "can" degrade and damage the nickel plating.

The "fix" for this is just not allow the solvent to stay on the plating any longer than necessary.

In other words, clean your new Python the way you normally clean any revolver, just don't let the bore solvent soak on the finish. Clean the gun, then wipe all the solvent off.

I do recommend using a bore solvent of some sort, since other treatments may not do a good job of cleaning.
Of the bore solvents, ordinary Hoppe's #9 is about as non-harmful as you can get.

Today, many people are using treatments like Kroil, but be aware, that this may not remove copper fouling.

To preserve the finish, a thin coat of CLP Breakfree or a good non-abrasive wax coating will protect it.
On nickel, a lot of people are using waxes like Johnson's Paste Floor Wax, or one of the museum-quality carnuba hard waxes.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't use any solvents that contain ammonia. Ammonia attacks the copper base coat over which the nickel is applied. If the nickel has any cracks, even microscopic, the ammonia will get underneath and attack the copper. Most of the new solvents and cleaners are ammonia free.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Look at the "cleaning" threads in the Coltsmithing category. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would never used Hoppe's #9 on a nickel gun. I learned this years ago when I stripped the plating off a Remington 11-48 using Hoppe's.
There are safer bore cleaners on the market for nickel guns.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I enjoy helping those with nickel guns.I do beleive they can be shot as well as any blue gun.But as noted earlier,don't use any solvents with ammonia.If in dought smell the open container.I know everyone knows that whiff of ammonia.But there lies the problem with copper.Nothing beats copper buildup better then ammonia cleaners.If you use the stuff dont allow to sit more then a few minutes.I then invest in a can of break-cleaner,as you can buy at the local Autozone,to flush the stuff out.I buy the stuff 3 or 4 cans at a time when I purchase the stuff.

The trick I have found out is before I take my pimp gun to the range I polish it with a car wax that has carnauba in it.Then between each cylinder load I use a 2 inch long pencil erasure to just rub the top of the cylinder.It helps prefent buildup of the burnt powder.Dont expect to get it clean.It just is for slowing down the ring buildup so it's easier to clean when you get home.Granted the polishing will eventually wear the nickel away and you'll have a screwed up gun,but we're talking a couple thousand rds.Your nickel gun wont be able to hold up to mega maximum shooting,but you'll at least get to satisfy your urge to deflower that virgin and make her into a semi-shooter,,,for while.

I like the stares you get when others see you shooting a pimp gun.It's kinda like burning $100 bills it seems and I know the people are envious to watch you screwing up a safe queen....but ahh what the heck.We're Colt guys with money to burn,right,,,,he he....One more note..always shoot 357 mag bullets and if at all posible shoot some soft loads.They dont heat up the gun as bad.Even better if you can reload yourself and just use lead bullets.Then you can stay away from all the copper solvents.The facts are in,,,38 specials shouldn't be a steady diet for a 357 mag.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I couldn't resist this urge to show you my pimp gun ----
I am a nickel Python freak and search all the time, daily for my 3 inch nickel Python,that I can not find !!!--------------but back to the Pimp gun I just got a hard chromed high polished Nighthawk custom -See if you think this is a Pimp Gun ------Or WHAT!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies!! Your info has been great. I took her out today and can she shoot!! I used Borescrubber to clean the barrel. Any solvent that got on the finish was instantly wiped away. When using solvents, I'm careful not to oversaturate the patch and slop it all over the pistol. I use enogh to do the job. To clean the cylinder face, I used a lead removing polishing cloth from Birchwood Casey that is supposed to be safe for nickel finishes. I realze that the more I shoot this Python, the finish will wear...but that's part of the beauty of shooting.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
silverpython

Unless you're using acid to clean it, NO commercial bore solvent can harm stainless steel.

You can let most any bore solvent soak as long as you want with no ill effects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts